• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears- towing

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there!
I do quite a bit of towing, and I was wondering if I can put higher gears in the rear end so I'm not killing my milage, and to make it easier. The real question is, do I have to switch the gears in the front pumpkin too? I really only put it in four when I am driving in the snow, or the occasional messing around. Will that kill my front end? Thanks!

think of it this way if you and a friend are walking carying a plank and you run and he walks that is what is going to be going on in your drivetrain. your front wheels will constantly turning the front DS slower than the rear DS causing lots of bind and bib problems

bj-666 said:
think of it this way if you and a friend are walking carying a plank and you run and he walks that is what is going to be going on in your drivetrain. your front wheels will constantly turning the front DS slower than the rear DS causing lots of bind and bib problems
I like that description!! Anyways with mismatched gear ratios in 4wd your tcase might blow up or you will twist the driveshafts off (at the very least)

with a 242 t-case different gear ratios wouldnt be that bad... If in full time 4 wd because the diferential at the t-case would help you IN THERORY

i would do both at the same time

note: you can find a used ford 8.8 with 4.11 gears for the price of re-gearing the d-35...

Codeman, when you say higher gears do you mean lower ratio which means bigger number? Do you have an auto or manual tranny?

don't know why i didn't chime in about that earlier. for 325 in RI i found a ford 8.8 with disks a LS and 3.73 i could have searched more for 4.11 but i was changing the carrier and gears anywhoo. disk brakes will make a huge difference when towing and the swap was very eazy. even if you dont' knwo how to weld a welder shouldn't charge you more than 20 to weld the mounts on took me about 30 min to get the mounts welded up and it was my first time welding anything with an ac stick welder. deff a good option much more strength better braking ability and better gear ratio possibilities.

XJ_ranger said:
with a 242 t-case different gear ratios wouldnt be that bad... If in full time 4 wd because the diferential at the t-case would help you IN THERORY
yoda_spobi.jpg

thats what I figured- but you are saying swap an 8.8 w/ 4:11 and then get 4:10 for the front? (they make 4:11 for d30?) Sounds like a plan...
but one thing- if it costs more to regear than $3-400 for one axle, geez!
BTW...Yoda rocks- that is hilarious!!!

Last edited:
4.10/4.11 is okay, 3.54/3.55 is okay, 4.55/4.56 is alright as well...those mismatches are well within tolerance. 4.55/3.55 is going to make expensive noises in 4wd whether you have a 231 or 242...

ok ok, ive learned...

XJ_ranger said:
ok ok, ive learned...
To quote more cheesy 80s figures..."Knowing is half the battle" :lecture:

In the end, it ain't nothin' but a thing anyway...just don't do it again! :D

Back