• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a quick 8.25 ?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Where are you guys getting the notion that no XJ with an 8.25 rear can have ABS? I bring this up because I'm researching a disc conversion, and I keep reading that on all my searches. I actually have a '99 with the 8.25 and ABS, and I'm not some moron who doesn't know the difference (the not-a-moron bit may be just an opinion). Furthermore, my father-in-law is a Jeep engineer and he's told me that the 8.25/ABS combo happened frequently (my word--I think he actually said "once in a while") after approx. '96 1/2. Not being accusatory about this, but I have no idea where it's coming from and telling people this could lead to misidentification of their axles, etc.

xxxj-va said:
Who is suggesting you ID an axle by whether it has an an ABS system?

I have seen TONS of people say that if it has ABS, it doesn't have an 8.25.

I see it on here all the time. Even Eagle has mentioned it before (not calling you out, Eagle, just saying that I've seen you mention it).

A real easy way for people to ID their axles, is to get a build sheet from the dealer. I know they only go back a certain amount of years, but I know they have 96s now. No mistakes that way as long as you have stock axles :)

BlackSport96 said:
No mistakes that way

HA! Build sheets are full of mistakes. The build sheet for my '90 said it came with a 4.7L V8, I don't believe that engine even existed in 1990. The build sheet for my '96 says it came with tinted windows, it didn't.

Not trying to be rude here, guys, but I know how to find the factual info. I need--and with a few exceptions--I have it. I know many people need to be guided to what they want (I'm a librarian, for crying out loud), I've simply been wondering lately where just about everyone has gotten this (mis)information about 8.25/ABS. It's not just on this site, either. It's all over the web, and it's wrong. Maybe it's just a matter of everyone using each others' sites to say the same thing; I don't know.

Timber's not saying that folks can't ID their axles. He's saying that it has been said by folks here that if you have an 8.25 axle then you don't have ABS brakes. He's wondering where this idea came from. I was curious also as I ran into a gent who has just such a beast...8.25 axle with ABS. According to Yucca-mans link the 8.25 is non-ABS but the one I looked at has a cast, flat lip on the bottom and definitely has ABS (stock).

Sarge

Sarge said:
Timber's not saying that folks can't ID their axles. He's saying that it has been said by folks here that if you have an 8.25 axle then you don't have ABS brakes. He's wondering where this idea came from. I was curious also as I ran into a gent who has just such a beast...8.25 axle with ABS. According to Yucca-mans link the 8.25 is non-ABS but the one I looked at has a cast, flat lip on the bottom and definitely has ABS (stock).

Sarge
Yes, that's exactly it. I just want to know if there's some reference that I can see about this because I was starting to think I have some oddball bastard Jeep.

For what it's worth - I used to work at a Jeep dealership, and I have yet to see an XJ 8.25 rear end with ABS. I won't say they don't exist, but they're definitely a rare gem if you come across one on an XJ.

However, there ARE indeed 8.25 rear ends with ABS, and I own a vehicle with the 8.25 w/ ABS. It is my '99 Dakota, and the ABS wheel speed sensor is located on the top of the pumpkin (3 channel, 4wheel ABS). I can attach a pic for those of you who want to see. :)

The ABS system that is available on the XJs is a 4wheel, 4channel ABS system. I have yet to see an 8.25 XJ rear end that is equipped for a 4channel ABS system...

Submit pics if you have an XJ w/ ABS and an 8.25 rear end. :)

Getting back to the question...

Timber, I don't know how this notion came about. I suppose it's like anything else, where misinformation is given out so frequently that most people believe it without a second thought.

It reminds me of some posts a couple of years ago when people were saying the 8.25 first came out on XJs around '96. I thought that was odd since my '92 had one.

The best thing to do is to dispel this misinformation when it surfaces. And be prepared to back it up with facts. :)

Tom

All right. Now I am starting to feel like a f------ moron. I have the master cylinder for ABS. I went out and checked under the hood just two minutes ago. I also looked under the rear seat for the rear ABS electronic controller--not there. And my build sheet specifies ABS--I know, they can be wrong. There actually are a couple of minor discrepancies on it. But, is it possible to have just two-wheel ABS? I even had my ABS light stay on once and had to read the code (1571: ABS Load Signal) and clear it. What the f---? I'd post pics, but I don't have a digital camera.
The only other odd thing is that my father-in-law, a Jeep engineer, insisted that some XJs did come with the 8.25/ABS combo.

By the way, I already feel like crap now for starting this thread and finding out I may not actually have the combo, so don't beat me too badly.

BlackSport96 said:
A real easy way for people to ID their axles, is to get a build sheet from the dealer. I know they only go back a certain amount of years, but I know they have 96s now. No mistakes that way as long as you have stock axles :)
mines a "97 and they said they cant get the build sheet any more- sadly i wish i had it

dothedew24_7 said:
mines a "97 and they said they cant get the build sheet any more- sadly i wish i had it

E-mail Jeep directly with your VIN and they should send you the info. I got a response once w/in minutes.

Timber said:
E-mail Jeep directly with your VIN and they should send you the info. I got a response once w/in minutes.
i did like a month ago- I got a response somthing like " were sorry but our records hold no info blah blah blah" and yes i made sure i typed the vin number right- funny thing was when i search for any recalls that came back fine

dothedew24_7 said:
i did like a month ago- I got a response somthing like " were sorry but our records hold no info blah blah blah" and yes i made sure i typed the vin number right- funny thing was when i search for any recalls that came back fine

That sucks. There's a special e-mail address for this stuff. I don't have time this evening to look, but I'll find it and post it tomorrow.

Island XJ said:
Beej has an 8.25 with ABS. Came from the factory that way. Its a Canadian model SE.
Actually Brett, it is a Non-ABS unit. I only thought it was ABS because I have the lights in the dash and I had that problem with the light being stuck on, and the code reader said it was an ABS problem. Turns out it was just a problem with the "sending unit" (?). I asked last time I was at the dealer. They told me that they are not aware of any ABS 8.25s on Jeeps out there as they did not think it was an option. They said that they were only aware of ABS on Dakotas and stuff. They said that they might have been sold overseas with ABS, but not in North America. The guy also said that he has not seen every jeep made and although he doesn't think so, it might be possible to find one.
Beej.

Back