• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
1993 2WD 4.0 AW4 with A/C. No visible leaks in the power steering pump or hoses but it needs topped off or filled approximately once a week. See AZ carries new pumps with reservoirs, new reservoirs and rebuild kits. Recommendations? New pump is $70 with $23 core charge and rebuild kit is about $30-31. Is it possible it's just the hoses? If so can the hoses be replaced by themselves? (Yes, I'll dig the FSM out in a bit.) Stay stock, upfgrade? XJ is street only, transpo for a college-bound daughter (close to home).

In all honesty it may get ignored for a time and drove without power steering cause money be tight. Doing research now tho.

Sarge

Last edited:
Don't let the pump run out and drive it dry -- I believe that'll destroy the pump, and I know it'll damage the box because the fluid is the lubricant as well as the power boost medium. How's the seal on the sector shaft where it exits the bottom of the box? That's the most likely place for a leak if the hoses aren't bad.

Back