• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

297 U-joint question

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
I want to upgrade to 297 u joints but I also want to keep my vacuum disconnect. According to www.madxj.com, Andreas Ritterbusch used the passenger side axle shaft from a 95 wrangler (I assume a 96 would work too) as it still had the vacuum disconnect.
Question #1
Was 97 (when the TJ was introduced) the first year of the non disco for the wrangler?
Question #2
What was the first year that the XJ came with 297's?
Question #3
Is the left axle shaft of a YJ the same for a XJ. I assume that it is and if so then I will just try to find two shafts from a 95 or 96 wrangler w/o abs that I can put in my 91 XJ. See any probs with that?

TIA

I have 297 shafts from an ABS XJ on my Jeep (an 88) with the 88 hubs and the tone ring is still on the stub shafts.

I also bought a set from FJH97XJ back a couple years ago when he went with Warn axles. I dunno if his Jeep (97) had ABS or not, but the tone rings were gone if it did.

Both of these sets the long (pass-side) shaft is non-disco though,

I think the 95 YJ pass-side outter is what you need. the inner should be the same, and the drivers side + stub shafts are the same (YJ/TJ/Late model XJ)

You can get it brand new from any Drivetrain Warehouse. Get the Dana Spicer Part # 75588-2x, it is the outer spindle with ABS tone ring, the 297 u-joint and the outer shaft splined to meet the coupler readily assembled.

Back