• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped crossmember bolts.

hunna

NAXJA Forum User
i stripped out one on each side while dropping my tc, the bolts are in there but there still stripped.

how am i going to fix them.

thanks.

Threads Stripped, Rounded, or broken?

Thread stripped, Get out the drill and try retapping them.

Rounded Use a Vise grips, or sometimes you can tap on a socket of the opposite sex(Metric or SAE) with a BFH and then take it off.

Broken.. Well there are lots of threads on here about different ways to get broken bolts out of things. Everyone has gone though it.

Hodge

Thread stripped, Get out the drill and try retapping them.

thats what i was going to try. but do you think if i got a bigger bolt or diffrent thread would that work.

thats what i was going to try. but do you think if i got a bigger bolt or diffrent thread would that work.

WHAT??? Why wouldn't it work . Thats what drilling and retapping is. Drilling out the old and using new threads with a bolt to match.

well i was saying just putting a bigger bolt in if i could get it to fit.

i only posted because i thought maybe there was a better solution to my my problem, other then retappin, like maybe there a company that sell a hole new bracket that bolts to a different spot or something like that.

I used a 2" hole saw to make a hole on each framerail in the middle of the stripped out bolts.
Then, I chiseled out the weldnuts and put in new HD nuts.
I put new bolts in, and then tacked the nuts down.
If you want you can cover up the hole with metal, but I used a rubber stopper.
HTH.

see like bg's response, i'd rather do that and a stronger unit in the end so if i ever have to drop the cross member again i want have the same problem.

thanks for all the replies.

I just made a new crossmember and welding the SOB on. Seems to work great, made it through many trails (tellico) without any problems. Makes taking the trans out kinda fun, I had to remove the bellhousing to switch out my tranny last weekend. Just my .02 Judd :cheers:

one of my nuts in the frame broke off. i bust out the angle grinder and made a small hole in the frame. i then inserted a nut and a wrench to hold it in place. problem solved.

T&A-XJ said:
If you lift your carpet you will see 2 access holes, you can fix it that way instead of cutting a hole in the side of the frame...
Have you actually done this, or shall I call SPOBI??? We did exactly that on a '99 XJ thinking that there would be holes...there are none.

We will typically punch out the old nutsert, drill the hole to 7/16", drop a new bolt in from inside the framerail and tack it.

We've done them like this for sometime now with good results.

hunna said:
i stripped out one on each side while dropping my tc, the bolts are in there but there still stripped.

how am i going to fix them.

thanks.

Easy. It sounds like the nutserts are still intact, just stripped. Get a 7/16" tap and run it up into the nutserts, then use 7/16" bolts. A very standard fix for this problem.

Pretty simple........

Have you actually done this, or shall I call SPOBI??? We did exactly that on a '99 XJ thinking that there would be holes...there are none.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but broke a nutsert in my frame rail and was curious if these access holes truly exist. ????

Access holes directly above the nutserts? No, there are not any. I drilled up through the nutcert hole thru the extra bracing, and into the floor, then went inside with a hole saw and used that hole as a pilot hole. Dropped a bolt down and thru bolted the crossmember when mine stripped out. Drilled a 1" hole and used a spare drain plug from an old jeep to plug it.

I know this is a 7 year old post, but please no one do this.
I used a 2" hole saw to make a hole on each framerail in the middle of the stripped out bolts.
Then, I chiseled out the weldnuts and put in new HD nuts.
I put new bolts in, and then tacked the nuts down.
If you want you can cover up the hole with metal, but I used a rubber stopper.
HTH.

Cutting a large hole in your frame rail, and patching it up with a rubber stopper is just dumb. You have compromised some of the the strength of the unirail by a hole that big and created a stress concentration, and then added a flexible piece of rubber that does nothing.

Last edited:
Since that's a bgcntry72 post I'm pretty sure it's a joke/troll.

Bump....anyone know?

There are on my 98. The hole is not directly over the nutsert, but I could see it and reach it with a wrench if needed. Did you just strip the threads or did it break free on the inside?

Back