• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installed header,tb,spacer.....now it dies

chance575

NAXJA Forum User
Today i installed a borla header,knocked the cat out, dynomax exhaust, and a 62mm tb(stock bored out) and spacer. After finishing up i started it up and let it idle for about 5 minutes then it dies. No stumbling or misfires, just dies. I try to restart and it just cranks. Wait a couple and it re-startes fine and 5 min later dies. This continues 3-4 times more. Take for a test drive and it dies 3 times within 10 min.

any ideas? i get a map code. check for vac. leak w/ carb cleaner did not find any. ran great before hand.

help please

its a 1994 4.0 i6

Last edited:
The symptom of a problem that surfaces after a few minutes seems tied to the fact that the computer runs a preprogrammed set of fuel air curves until operating temp is reached. It then switches to using the sensors to set the ratio. It sounds like you have a sensor problem. What year are you running? A common problem on a Renix system is to put the map sensor plug in the throttle body upside down.

Did you remove of disconnect any sensors around the cat? Why did you bypass the cat? Possably not enough restriction? The seal around the TB spacer I would also suspect.

HTH

Rev

no sensors around the cat, only 1 in exhaust is o2 sensor..... oh yeah replaced that with a brand new bosch unit....cat is orginal and did not want to mess with exhaust when it needs replaced down the road.

Back