• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in intake...

Nernballs

NAXJA Forum User
I F**ked up bigtime. I went through a water crossing and my intake sucked up a good amount of water. It stalled out, and my filter was drenched. I got it started again, butit chugged for a while. Idorve about 2 miles without the filter in, until i met a freind with a new filter for me. The check engine light was on for the night, and it went out around midnight (3 hours later). It runs fine now, but is there anything i should do to prevent my engine from blowing up? Like, should i change my oil and all that jazz....?

You should change every fluid and filter in your Jeep. I would suggest not driving it anymore until you do that.

Driving it at all after you got water in it was a bad idea. I carry a jug of cheap oil with me and a jug for old oil if I am going to be dealing with water. I change it on the trail and then change it again when I get home to be safe and to get synthetic back in it. I am really paranoid since I dropped my stroker in and I care more about the engine than I do about the jeep.

Anytime you go off road you should carry at least one complete oil change, I generally carry a sealed case of dino and two filters. When you drown one you need to get it pulled out, to a level spot, pull the plugs, turn it over to blow the water out of the cylinders and do an oil change in that order. Then check the oil after a few minutes of running to see if you got it all out, if it's milky do the oil again. Then you need to change the diffs at least. Hot axles and axle tubes will pull cool water in thru the seals if the water is that high just from sitting in it.

also a good idea to run a compression test, just to be sure taht you didnt bend a rod even the slightest. after i hydro locked mine, i bent the number 6 rod REAL bad and the change was noticeable. swaped the number 6 rod and everything was fine - for a while, then ran annother compression test and found #1 to be off and found annother bent rod, less bent than 6, but bent still...

Back