• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running cold

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Is there a way I can test the temperature gauge on my '87 4.0? For about the past 3 weeks, the temp gauge on the dash doesn't read above what would be the 140F mark. I'm not sure if it is the dash gauge or a real problem. I haven't noticed any real driving issues or odd smells. Two things that have happened in that time are that I had the gauge besel and plexi off, where i might have accidentaly pushed the needle out of wack with where it should be.

Ihe other is of more concern. The radiator fluid level in the pressure tank dropped just below the fill spot on the post in the bottle. I had to add about a pint to get it back up above that spot, then a bit more to get it up to proper level. It wasn't driven for a few weeks before this happened, and I didn't notice the level had dropped until after I ran it for a while. Could this have caused a larger problem.

Thanks,

-Copperhead

Thanks,

i was getting ready to flush the system and will add checking the thermostat to the list. Might just go ahead and replace it if it isn't too expensive.

Hopefully that will work.

-Copperhead

I wish mine ran that warm. It doesn't go above the 100 mark, and it's been in the low 40's, high 30's lately in the mornings. If you solve your problem with a thermostat, I'm definitely changing mine.

JEEPTHIS said:
I wish mine ran that warm. It doesn't go above the 100 mark, and it's been in the low 40's, high 30's lately in the mornings. If you solve your problem with a thermostat, I'm definitely changing mine.

You should do the tstat and pressure cap every two to three years whether you think it needs it or not..

Back