• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilover Help

MuddinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I have read alot of the threads about Coilovers, but I still have a few questions. I was thinkin about getting the RK CO Conversion for the rear and doing something custom up front but I have no idea what to do as far as CO size, spring rates, and such. What are the best brands. Any pics of how you did your installs for the COs up front and in the rear? What did you make the hoops out of? Sorry for so many questions but I'm wanting alot more flex than I'm getting and an extremely good street ride.

i might not have the best advice but i've seen 2 diff. types of rear c/o's. The kind RK has but i think are not available yet and then the kind that you cut holes in the floor and run up to yoor interior cage. Those seem best b/c w/ c/o's you need the travel to make them get the travel your looking for. I was gonna do it until i came to realize that the best way would be to cut thru the floor, but i have no interior cage yet and this would be too pricey for the c/o conversion when i could just put that money toward full size axles and put off the c/o's until the jeep is older and my pockets fatter. Search coilovers on xjdb.com and there is an awesome blue one that runs the set up im taling about.

here is how I did mine
1357404-florrcut

I ws hoping it wouldnt come to have to come through the floor. but if that is the only good way to do it then that is just the way it will have to be.

Are you sure you've tried everything to make your leafs flex?

BTW, flex is overrated - traction is where it's at.

paul_xj04 said:
heres a couple pix i gathered up from xjdb.com. im gonna do this set up on all four corners of my full width xj in about a month.
modules.php

modules.php

internet.jpg

;)

xj0428.jpg

19_571774103_0_ALB055.jpg

im runnng c/o's all at all 4 coners....First, in the second pic, he is running a 3 link-wishbone setup w/ hydro. So street driving isnt really the greatest unless your planning on running a different 'link' setup. With richards setup - top pic, unless you plan on running full width, your going to have to run the c/o-s on the inside of the 'frame rails' - Unless your planning on doing frame modification. Both setup's work great, Are you looking to do a lot of fabrication or more of just 'bolt-on'?

I can do some fabrication but it will be my first attempt but i am not afraid to jump right in. If it was bolt on then it would be a little bit better but it doesnt really matter.

Yeah I already have traction covered. locked front and rear. thanks for asking.

Have you seen Rock Crawlers kit? It's a 4-link coil over conversion for the rear and it uses 14" travel fox coil overs. They mount on the outside of the frame rail right above the axle. Flexy Joe on here has the kit and it looks nice.

Where do they mount the coilovers without going through the floor with 14" travel coilovers?

I just don't see how you could mount them to the outside of the frame rail with stock axles, hell under full flex most tires will rub the side of the wheelwell as it is, let alone sticking a coilover shock between them, even with full width axles I had to cut into my frame rails and then box them in to have enough room for it to work

Sintax posted the pic of it cutout, I will dig up the pic of it boxed in in a few

Last edited:
well i really don't want to come up through the floor. is that really the only way to have coilovers in the rear(and for them to perform the best)?

Back