• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix to HO Head swap?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I blew a valve yesterday I think, ( sucking noise, black exhaust, #1 cylinder tested at 77 while all others were at 101). Since I have to take it apart anyway I am going to do my stroker. I would like to put a new HO style intake manifold and throttle body on but I have a renix motor. Can I put a HO head on and a 2000+ intake manifold on my block? What will I have to do if this is possible, to make it work? Also is it true that I could put a Viper throttle body as a direct bolt on?
-Thanks in advance

I've done a couple ~96 or so HO head to Renix block swaps. The head will bolt directly on. I don't know about the newer intake manifold, the older non-HO's you have to notch the manifold around the dowels and move the intake up a little.

On your problem- sounds like the MAP vacuum hose may have pulled off, this runs the engine dead rich (black smoke) and vacuum leak (hissing noise)
Those numbers do show a tired motor, but I doubt a valve failed.

Good luck!

JJacobs, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so dumb for just giving up on the jeep just because I was ticked off. I looked and sure enough the MAP was disconnected. Now I can drive it till the end of the school year before I pull the motor. Anyway, Does anyone know if a newer intake manifold would bolt on to the HO head?

i have a plain stock 89 xj with renix injection and a rolled 03 tj for parts i just bought the tj has onlt 70,000 km and want to put this engine in my 89 xj.
have searched online for a bought 2 months and every one says this is either a head ache or real easy. My question is can i put the ho from the tj in my xj and keep the stock fuel injection and the tj exh manifold or do i have to buy a header, trying to do on a budget?

yes the TJ should bolt right in (automatic?) You need the 89 flywheel and distributor to work with the Renix computor, also the sensors from the 89. You need to adapt the early TPS (several write-ups on this are around) and a 91 - 95 fuel rail to run with your 89 fuel system. The 96+ doesn't have a regulator so won't work. Also need the 91+ throttle cable (pedal is the same). This all assumes that you are replacing the engine only?

Back