• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MT only 33 10.50 mud tire?

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
next sets going to be 33;s reall soon. i have 31 1050 now. and i thik with no flairs i dont want to go any wider. i have my fenders cut and im going to be at 5 in the front 6 out back. so theyl definetly fit. . i just dont think i should go any wider. my buddy has close to 5 and 32s and his tuck tight but he still has all the plastic...

BFG and Super Swamper Radials come in 33x10.5. and I think Bridgestone is coming out with that size in the MT tire. I have run the SS Radials in that size, can't say a bad word about them but they're loud. I have BFG at's in that size now. Great size for XJ's. Juice

I couldn't agree more. I believe that the 33x10.5 are the perfect size for an XJ at that lift height. I have 32x11.5 and I regret the day I listened to the tireshop foreman and got them.

Rgds

BFG used to make a 33x9.5 - can be seen at the YJ page on www.jedi.com

that is what obi-wan runs...

I am a fan of a wider tire - more contact patch = more traction
mud is annother story
Pizza cutters are great for soupy mud that has hard ground underneath... wide tires suck in mud because you slid on the top and dont sink in.
:geek:
personaly i will go for 33x12.5's when i get my bigger tires...

SV1CEC said:
I couldn't agree more. I believe that the 33x10.5 are the perfect size for an XJ at that lift height. I have 32x11.5 and I regret the day I listened to the tireshop foreman and got them.

Rgds
Why?

I run a 255/80r16 which is almost equivalent to a 33x10.5. I used to have 33x10.5s on 15in rims, and I measured the two side by side, and my 255/80s are actually slightly taller.

You also have alot more tires size options with a 16in rim.

Mine:

IM000266.jpg

here is a pic of the 33x9.5 i think it looks rediculus, and i think a 10.5 loks too skinny as well. im into rocks and sucky gas milage though

kansaskrawl2003-90.jpg

I used to run 33x9.5 on my long wheelbase Samurai when I was into Suzukis. I wouldn't run them again. They are too narrow - too little floatation - even with a three ply tinfoil constructed Samurai.

I might consider 10.5 wide 32s or 33s depending on what rig they go under. But stay away from the 9.5s. IIRC, the 9.5s have been discontinued anyway...

r@m

i think im just going to go the 12 50's mtrs put my old 31's on my stocker rims for distance trips and inspection. even if i extend my bstops (how far.. who makes em) wont they hit my control arms .. my buddy has a 4.5 RE express and 32 1150 sport kings and he's close. thanks again

XJ_ranger said:
more contact patch = more traction
Thats SPOBI,it depends on the circumstances,generally a longer front to back patch is better overall but it really depends on the terrain your trying to navigate.The available weight to each tire is "fixed" based on your vehicle,how your vehicle tranfers that weight to traction will depend on alot of things(mostly the tire type/size and compound)!Its all based on on PSI of the "contact patch",a softer compound will handle lighter psi's than a harder compound".

Last edited:
fill me in on the meaning of
RCP Phx said:
and i will tell you of my expierences...

XJ_ranger said:

I am a fan of a wider tire - more contact patch = more traction

i'm no expert, but i don't think you can make a blanket statement like that...
one component of traction is weight, and w/ a narrow(er) tire you have more weight transfer per square inch (relative to a wider tire).

as w/ most things in life, there isn't a black/white answer-- there is a big gray zone of "it depends on all of the other variables"...

that said, of course a wider tire *will* give you more contact which may or may not be necessary.

$.02

Back