• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing Question...

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
OK, my question is what gears do I need, if any, for my '97 XJ with 33" on it? I have the D35 and D30 with the NP241 t-case and its an automatic as well. I'm just confused because I've heard that I would need to re-gear, but I've also heard that with the auto I can get away with it.

Thanks for the help!

TDeaton13 said:
OK, my question is what gears do I need, if any, for my '97 XJ with 33" on it? I have the D35 and D30 with the NP241 t-case and its an automatic as well. I'm just confused because I've heard that I would need to re-gear, but I've also heard that with the auto I can get away with it.

Thanks for the help!

you have 241 or 242? 241 would mean that you have 4:1 low range while 242 would mean that you have full time position. I'm almost willing to be that you have 242.

Which gears.... hmmm run a search through all the prior discussions for more info and ideas.
Also automatics being forgiving. Yes... they are on the blacktop, but on most trails (depends also what kind of trails you're going to run) you will want 4.56's or 4.88's.

All stock New Process transfer cases have a 2.72 to 1 ratio, except the one in the Wrangler Rubicon, which is 4 to 1. The 241 comes in bigger trucks, the 242 comes in the XJ.

You'll hear this a lot.......spend a few extra bucks and replace that weak D35 rather than spending money to regear it. Spend the money on something that won't break on you if you look at it wrong. 4.56 or 4.88 are your gear choices, with most prefering the 4.88's with 33" tires. I had 33's and 4.56's, with the BFG's it was fine, but with 33" Swamper SSR's I wished that I had 4.88's.

All stock New Process transfer cases have a 2.72 to 1 ratio, except the one in the Wrangler Rubicon, which is 4 to 1. The 241 comes in bigger trucks, the 242 comes in the XJ.

You'll hear this a lot.......spend a few extra bucks and replace that weak D35 rather than spending money to regear it. Spend the money on something that won't break on you if you look at it wrong. 4.56 or 4.88 are your gear choices, with most prefering the 4.88's with 33" tires. I had 33's and 4.56's, with the BFG's it was fine, but with 33" Swamper SSR's I wished that I had 4.88's.

Yes, thats what I meant the NP242 t-case. Also I don't know if this effects my choices of gears, but it is my DD so it does see hightway miles. What would be the best choice of gear ratios for this setup?

Thanks

Proper gearing will help restore gas mileage lost on stock gearing and oversized tires. I have 32" tires and 4.56 gears and got about 19 MPG on the highway to the Moab event earlier this month. Not too bad for a nearly 200K rig with auto tranny. The tach averaged around 2900 RPM, which is not a problem with these engines.

I wish I had 4.88s, but the 8.25 axle limits me to 4.56. So, if it were me I'd go with 4.88 gears at a minimum. I'll echo (pun) Goatman that you should consider upgrading that D35 before regearing it.

i run 4.56's and 31's and i know that when i get 33's i will want deeper. 4.56's and 31's are great, with the exception of highway use, it tachs a little high. if i could have gotten 4.88's i would definetly have but i have the 8.25

TDeaton13 said:
OK, my question is what gears do I need, if any, for my...
yeah i think you will more than likely need at least some gears

Ramsey said:
yeah i think you will more than likely need at least some gears

Ramsey, what do you mean "at least" that has me worried now. Is it a good idea to even run 33's with this setup? I really don't want to swap axles simply b/c it's a DD and is reliability is key for me. So can I do it?

Back