• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Cells and Pumps

why don't you at least give him a little teaser Capt'n searchboy.

I'm using the stock pump externally.

I'm using a 16 gallon (claimed, really about 13) RCI rectangular one from summit, it has a gm type sending unit in it (that leaks and i need to fix) but is accurate. If you go with one of these take the fill top off and replace the feed hose (its crap from the factory) put weights on the end of the pick-up hose and clamp it (hose clamp) to the nipple inside the tank. this way the pick up hose slides to wich ever side of the tank the rig is leaning to and doesn't run out of fuel. For the pump , go to auto zone and get the e2000, cheap enough to carry a spare also. Good luck and next time search :nono:

I did do a serch after the first response but I must admit i was being lazy and didn't serch before i posted this. I have a 16 gallon RCI foam filled cell with the GM sending unit that I bought about 7 years ago and never used and figured this was the perfect time since my stock fuel tank had a huge gaping hole in it. But thanks for the info

BIGWOODY said:
take the foam out and throw it away, over time it deteriorates and causes problems (least it has for me in race cars).

wood, can you define "over time"?

1 yr?

2 yrs?

more?

mine still has foam in it, and It pretty much what keeps my dual holley pick up kit from flying around in there.

I know I can use another method to secure the pick ups, but the foam is a convenient method.

I like the swinging pickup idea- rc airplane style :D

It's not running yet, but I've seen this work on another Renix 4.0, and have the parts to do the same on mine- Powerstroke frame mounted 'lift pump'. The price was right, free dollars. Otherwise I was going to use a stock pump externally. The Powerstroke pump puts out about 65 psi, which should be close to the stock pump- close enough that the regulator won't be overwhelmed.

JJacobs said:
I like the swinging pickup idea- rc airplane style :D

It's not running yet, but I've seen this work on another Renix 4.0, and have the parts to do the same on mine- Powerstroke frame mounted 'lift pump'. The price was right, free dollars. Otherwise I was going to use a stock pump externally. The Powerstroke pump puts out about 65 psi, which should be close to the stock pump- close enough that the regulator won't be overwhelmed.

bullshit.

it doesn't work.

there is no 3/8 fuel injection line that is supple enough to form a 180-degree bend inside a fuel cell.

go pre-configured auxilary tank or go home

damn beezil you're a hardass.

I don't know about 180 degrees, you probably don't want to be running upside down. It shouldn't be that hard to get the pickup line to cover the cell from front to rear though.

I'm just using the bottom feed pickup. The rc airplane pickup sounds cool, but I'm lazy.

jeepdeepfreak said:
What's involved mounting the stock pump externally?

well, in one tons case, about 5 feet of duct tape.

cowstripes said:
damn beezil you're a hardass.

I don't know about 180 degrees, you probably don't want to be running upside down.

it can be done.

i will show you.

Beezil said:
wood, can you define "over time"?

1 yr?

2 yrs?

more?

mine still has foam in it, and It pretty much what keeps my dual holley pick up kit from flying around in there.

I know I can use another method to secure the pick ups, but the foam is a convenient method.

We ran them our race cars for about 2 season and changed them out. The foam would break down and start cause fuel clogging issues. with the "swinging pick-up" mine will run at any angle with only a couple of gallons of fuel in it, works for me. It had about a 1/4 tank of fuel in this pic and never stumbled.

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

Last edited:
When i did the serh I was looking or some photos but all there seem to be is red x's. Would any of you have some photos of your fuel cell set up's. I'm mounting mine right in the back of my XJ and wanted to see hof others have mounted it and ran their lines to maybe give me some ideas. Thanks

Beezil,we changed it every season,the foam is pretty cheap.You can get it from SpeedwayMotors( www.SpeedwayMotors.com ).It's $6.95 per stick,a stick measures 16x4x6. BigWoody,how about some info about your MJ,I just got one I'm going to build up.

I run the 22 gallon alum cell from summit, bought an EFI external pump from a TPI shop local paid $200 for it.

Funny you mentioned the foam, never thought about changing it, I have had it for about a year and now every so often my truck acts like it has a clogged filter and the pump runs real hot, then it goes away, I think I will replace hte foam and see if that helps.

Beezil said:
bullshit.

it doesn't work.

there is no 3/8 fuel injection line that is supple enough to form a 180-degree bend inside a fuel cell.

go pre-configured auxilary tank or go home

You wouldn't need to use high pressure rated hose. You could use thin-walled motorcycle type fuel line which is much more flexable than any fiber reinforced fuel line I've ever seen.

Back