• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard !SLAM! when htting potholes, etc.

wildman

NAXJA Forum User
Hard slam when hitting potholes, etc.

When i'm traveling over 10 or 15 mph and i hit a decent sized pothole, piece of broken cement, bump in the field, whatever, i get this huge SLAM in my suspension. it almost feels as if the axle is bottoming out or something. I'm not sure what is causing this, but i can feel it in the floor board and it scares the shit out of me when I hear/feel it. I recently installed a 3 inch lift, hoping it would help, and realized that my bump-stops had been badly corroded, replaced them, still the same problem..help please!

When i'm traveling over 10 or 15 mph and i hit a decent sized pothole, piece of broken cement, bump in the field, whatever, i get this huge SLAM in my suspension. it almost feels as if the axle is bottoming out or something. I'm not sure what is causing this, but i can feel it in the floor board and it scares the shit out of me when I hear/feel it. I recently installed a 3 inch lift, hoping it would help, and realized that my bump-stops had been badly corroded, replaced them, still the same problem..help please!

when u did the lift, did you extend the shocks or move the shock mounts to account for the lift?

could be that your shock is ending at full up/down travel...

Check your shocks, track bar, CAs, and steering components for play.
Also, make sure there is an isolator or some poly between the coil springs and the body on the upper side.
HTH.

Re: Hard slam when hitting potholes, etc.

I experience the same exact thing. I recently installed a Superlift 3". You are not alone! I would like to get to the bottom of it too. People tell me something about the shocks but i dunno-its a possibility. Hopefully we can get some info!! -Shawn

this happened before and after the lift...the shocks are new(replaced with longer shocks to accomodate lift) the bushings are good. extended bumpstops were put in with the lift. lift was 2 inch spacers, but like i said, it happened before the lift too

Slow down approaching potholes.

The lower control arms in stock trim are horizontal -- level, parallel to the ground. Drive into a pothole, and they swing up which automatically rotates them slightly toward the rear -- away from the impact.

Install a 3" lift and now the control arms are pointed downward. Hit that same pothole and the upward movement of the wheel slams the control arm up and back into the frame pocket.

That's precisely why Trailmaster's lift (one of the early lifts available for the XJ) included drop brackets for the control arms. The drop brackets maintained the stock suspension geometry, avoiding the problem you're encountering.

well, i was experiencing this before the lift also. i got longer shocks(gabriel gas ryder LT) to accomodate the lift and extended bumpstops, same problem

is it just me, or is this posted twice in modified tech?

:huh:

It was posted in both OEM and Modified because the problem was related to both, however, the forum placed both threads into one

braeden said:
Are your shocks installed right side up?
shocks on a cherokee are hard to mess up, especialy the front ones.. they have a stab on one end and a bar pin on the other...
in the rear there is the bar pin end and the eye end...
unless he has adaptors for both the top and bottom of the shock, he can have them attached on both ends upside down...

wildman said:
It was posted in both OEM and Modified because the problem was related to both, however, the forum placed both threads into one
No topic relates to twoforums. The forum guidelines prohibit double posting. Pick the forum that the question best relates to and post it there.

This question involves a lifted vehicle, therefore it belongs on the Modified Tech forum.

no, the shocks are not upside down...there are two completely different mounts top and bottom, so it'd be kinda hard to screw that up, it's only in the front that it does this, rear rides smooth as silk....thinking about bringing it to a dealership, but i really hate to do that

Eagle said:
No topic relates to twoforums. The forum guidelines prohibit double posting. Pick the forum that the question best relates to and post it there.

This question involves a lifted vehicle, therefore it belongs on the Modified Tech forum.

yes, but this topic also relates to oem vehicles, as i was having the same problem while it was stock

wildman said:
yes, but this topic also relates to oem vehicles, as i was having the same problem while it was stock
Double posting is still not allowed. Pick the forum that best fits the question and post it there.

Back