• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ Axle Shaft Q

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
I fragged my D-side axle shaft in my 88 non-disco. I had a shaft out of a 91 YJ given to me. It seems to be over-all the same dimensions,(length, spline counts).

The yokes are very thick compared to the XJ shaft yokes.

Will this shaft work?

Your 88 shaft is most likely a 260 ujoint while the replacement shaft is a 297 ujoint shaft. The 297 is much stronger. If the new shaft came with a unit bearing, you will have to use your old unit bearing, otherwise it is a good upgrade.

old_man said:
Your 88 shaft is most likely a 260 ujoint while the replacement shaft is a 297 ujoint shaft. The 297 is much stronger. If the new shaft came with a unit bearing, you will have to use your old unit bearing, otherwise it is a good upgrade.

The shaft was pulled from a parts axle by a guy in my jeep club, to get me on the road again, but I didn't want to use it until I got some more info. He wasn't sure if it was the same dimensions, and I had no idea.

Thank you a ton!

Back