• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

amp gauge dying and draining battery..

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i went wheeling the other day and got in some mud. now after i start the jeep up and drive around for a bit the amp gauge just dies and my check gauges light comes on. i thought it was the batter cause it was already old, but it still does it. maybe water on the alternator screwed it up or something. ive still got an extended warranty and they said it wouldnt void it when i lifted it(i asked on 3 diff. occasions) so i can probably get it covered under warranty cause im sure they'll understand. but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else

Do you have the stock splash guard still in place under the front of the motor? If not (and even possibly if you do), you probably got mud in the alternator and killed it. I did this about 4 times total before I decided to stop romping through the mud in mine. :)

You can try hosing the alternator out... knock on it with a rubber mallet or something first and see if you can knock any of the caked mud loose inside, then hose it real good. Sometimes that's all they need, I've been told. However, this method has never worked for me... it's always back to schucks for a new one under warranty.

no splash guard anymore. i just tried spraying and wd-40 but it didnt work, it's either the alternator or a short somewhere. i've got a 73k mile extended warranty, maybe it'll be covered

deffinitly the alternator - ive had this happen before

the silt and muck from the mud eats them - that splash gard helps a lot

the brushes get caked

get a new one if its under waranty - its free for you!

Back