• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stinger style bumpers...opinions

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
im wondering what everyone thinks of the stinger style bumpers. the ones that stick up and out. what are the advantages, and what do u think overall...?

thanks

IMHO, they don't look all that great. To each their own, but I won't have one.

Also, if they were all that protective, C-Rok, of all people, would have one, seeing as how he has so much invested in just his radiator and has killed one in a rollover.

I would think of other ways to protect my radiator before I added a stinger.

a_hiatt said:
yeah but what if u could get one really cheap and ur running a stock bumper right now....
buy it...if you want it. This place if full of diferent opinions, including yours. If you like it buy it. Lots of people have them lots of people don't.
The thing about asking questions like that here is everyone says diferent things. I would just do what you want. OK have I said that enough? :doh:

The advantage is that if your front end falls off a ledge and there is a huge rock about to hit your front end, you won't have to worry about damaged. That's the primary purpose of a stinger bumper. I would buy it I were you, anything is better than a stock bumper

a_hiatt said:
so there's no big advantage, but some like em and some don't, i havent made up my mind yet

You could always but the stinger and modify it if you don't like the stinger. Assuming that you have a good deal lined up.

It also could save your radiator in a roll if it's above you hood

Cruzzin_XJ said:
It also could save your radiator in a roll if it's above you hood
You also have half of a hammock hanger...all you need is an appropriately-spaced tree and you're good to go!

XJ_ranger said:
the only stinger bumper that i have seen that i have liked yet, is the one that this guy built
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37005&highlight=eye+bumper+welding

i like the way that all i remembered about the post was that the guy had hurt his eye in welding class... good times
-XJ_Ranger

thanks for the compliment, another thing i like about mine is u can use it as a big skid, thats the main reason i built a new bumper, the tow hooks hung down and i could climb any ledge if i could just get a tire to it, but now with the towhooks moved up u can push up against it with the stinger and slide up to a tire fairly easy. but to be honest the main reason i built a stinger bumper it because i like the way it looks.
for who started the thread, its your jeep, why build it just so that everyone on here likes it? as long as its safe build it the way u want it and be happy, but keep a flamesuit handy if u go the stinger route cause theres alot of people on here that hate them.
oh ya xjranger, i got the peice of metal in my eye at home not in the welding class lol.

kolby

here's my semi stinger: Don't really think it would help that much in a roll since there nothing to keep the hoop from moving forward or backward but I did mine like that mainly for deer protection. Rather shove them under the vehicle then straight on impact.

DSCF0319.JPG

a_hiatt said:
the bumper im getting is a lot like lakchevy's

im thinking it'll look ok on the big black jeep
a quick question, where are you getting it? did someone make it, or is it made? i havent been able to find one that looks like that that is pre-fab...
share?

private seller.... he made it himself and did a good job. the hoop looks a little big, but my jeep is pretty big so it should go ok, if not i'll just cut the hoop down and weld a new bend in there, not a problem. and the price is fantastic.

XJ_ranger said:
a quick question, where are you getting it? did someone make it, or is it made? i havent been able to find one that looks like that that is pre-fab...
share?

have u looked at rustys? mine was based off their design. cruzin_xj has it on his, the hoop is taller and narrower than mine tho.

kolby

yeah, ive seen rusty's but the huge hoop is FUGLY to me... almost as fugly as an xo cage...

ill keep lookin... a friend of mine is talking about buying a tube bender, and i may go in on it with him, make a cage, bumper, rails, flares and all that... then it'd be worthwile...

Back