• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new gears now time for a oil change

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
its been a couple thousand miles since i got 4.56's and its time to change the fluid. i was just starting do it, and the last bolt i was loosening on the front cover is rounded, how can i get it off and can i easily find a replacement for it. thanks for any help

massxj said:
vicegrips and a hardware store
yeah i figured that much

I would put it back together and take it to a mechanic or shop that you trust for help. They are more than likely used to this sort of stuff. shouldnt charge ya an arm or leg to get the one bolt off i wouldnt think.

Cory

csr_011 said:
I would put it back together and take it to a mechanic or shop that you trust for help. They are more than likely used to this sort of stuff. shouldnt charge ya an arm or leg to get the one bolt off i wouldnt think.

Cory

why?? a flat rate of $60/hr (cheap estimate) and $25 for gasket, bolt,rtv, gear lube, and waste disposal is not an "arm or leg" but more than you should incur on a simple fix like this.... if the bolt is broken-off thats another story that alot of people arent ready to attack, this is just a rounded head.... ViceGrips baby!!!!

gonna do it tomorrow, got all the fluids and rtv and have done it once before so it should be fine. it was just really hot today and i came across this and it discouraged me from doing it today, plus i need to go get a bolt first. anyone know what size? i will probably just take one out and take my brothers truck, but if someone has a number to throw out i would apprectiate it

Actually, I don't know that you need to get a bolt 'first' before proceeding; you've already got 10 bolts there and can run it briefly with 9 if needed to run to the hardware store.

However, if you can't get Vise-Grips on it try cutting a slot across the head so you can get a big screwdriver in there. Depending which bolt it is, you might be able to grind some flats on opposite sides and use a monkey wrench

Yucca-Man said:
Actually, I don't know that you need to get a bolt 'first' before proceeding; you've already got 10 bolts there and can run it briefly with 9 if needed to run to the hardware store.

However, if you can't get Vise-Grips on it try cutting a slot across the head so you can get a big screwdriver in there. Depending which bolt it is, you might be able to grind some flats on opposite sides and use a monkey wrench
thanks yucca man, gonna try this all this afternoon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong or if this isn't necessary, but if you do run with a missing bolt, you'll probably want to make sure all the bolts on the bottom are used. Leave the empty hole at the top of the cover.

Check with the place that set up your gears, they've probably got tons of these bolts just laying around.

its the highest one on the right side, i might give them a call, but after a few experiences i have decided to stay clear of them if i dont need em. one other ?, when i put the bolts back in, i need to put silicone on them to right? or locktight?

well with the rounded bolt and my rear end is also leaking(insert joke here) do yall think i should take it to where i had it done and make them do it

There is always the option of tack welding another nut on the rounded end of the bolt. This works pretty well because it also heats the bolt which sometime loosens whatever has seized the theads.

Les

Back