• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goofy stereo problem

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Yesterday I was out screwing around in my Jeep (94 XJ) when the stereo (JVC head and 12 disc changer) cut out. No power to it at all. (Before this, when I would pull on the headlights, the stereo would just cut out and right back on.) I pull on the headlights and the dead stereo works again. Has this happened to anyone else and how do I fix it?

Headlights off, no power to stereo. Headlights on, stereo works.

Thanks. Phil

Mine does the same thing. But my would turn off with the lights on. Cause my dimmer switch was turned down. turned the dimmer up higher and the radio would come on.

Sounds like you may have your power wire wired to the dash lights. Might want to recheck your wiring.

Mine flakes-out sometimes when use the turn signal,and a couple of times it did it when I hit the brake pedal.Dont know what the hell causes it but it happens so rarely I've just learned to live with it and hope it does'nt fry my stereo.
Jeff

I had the exact same problem with mine (`95).

I took the whole head unit out, wires and all, and then rewired it all over again. I got a wiring chart off of here somewhere and it took about 30 min tops.

Haven't had the problem since

-Neal

When I dim the dash lights too far, the stereo cuts out.

The weird thing is, it worked fine until yesterday afternoon, and now it needs the headlights on.

I'll check out the fuses.

Back