• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble shooting help for a new MJ owner...

el minator

NAXJA Forum User
hey...
just wanted to introduce myself. i just got a '89 mj "eliminator". the passenger side is missing an "I" (EL MINATOR) and the other side is missing most of the letters but somehow it spells "vATO", go figure. so she has been dubbed "el minator".

but this truck is in overall good shape, 5spd tranny shifts smooth, the engine doesn't make any strange noises and no leaks. the interior is pretty clean, the driver's seat is ripped showing normal wear and tear. she has some electrical quirks: when i turn on the headlights, both signal (green) arrows light up on the gauge cluster. and at 125,xxx miles she still runs strong with minimal rust bubbles over the rear quarters.

btw... can anyone please help/show me how to adjust the parking brake cables? i keep her in gear when parked so she won't roll away (especially on sloped areas). and also if you know what is causing the signal light issue... i'd greatly appreciate it!

usually on the older jeeps, the front turn signal sockets go bad and loose the ground connection inside. you need to replace the sockets. as for the parking brake, the rear brakes need to first be adjusted so there is little drag on the drums and then tighten the nut on the front parking brake cable where it attaches to the rear cables until the parking brake pedal goes down about 3/4 of the way to the floor and the brake holds the vehicle.

Back