• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 wheel spacing

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am thinkin bout gettin a front dana 44 thats like 64 inches?? about, i don't know how long? but anyways what do u guys all think of like a two inch wheel spacer for an 8.8?? i will be runnin 37's and 10 inch beadlocks!! jsut wondering ur guys opion on them?

stoney

Most Ford 44's are about 67". Did you get a hold of a shortened one?

The spacers work OK, but you will be putting a LOT of extra stress on the wheel bearings. The 10 inch wheels are bad enough, and adding 2 more inches of offset will not help the bearing life at all.

CRASH

well i was jsut thinkin of a front 44 that was like 64 or something i don't really know what they come out of? but anways i was jsut trying to think of ways to make the rear axle wider!! u know any other ways??

thanx
stoney

If I was gonna swap in a full width 44, I'd swap in a full width rear axle as well. Why not just sell your 8.8 and get a 60 rear? Or, if you already have a locker for your 8.8, swap it into an 8.8 from an f-150 or Bronco.

I don't think you'll find a drivers side diff Ford axle that is 64" wide. It's either an early Bronco one that is 60", or the truck ones that are 67".

CRASH

do u know how wide a f 150 rear axle is? thats a good idea if i found one for cheap!!!

stoney

f-150 rear axle.. look for a 9".. the oval shaped housing.. its 66 inches wide.. or a dana 60 out of an f-250 from the late 70s which would be 63 " i believe.

no i know i would most likley go with a 60 but i was jsut thinkin that i already have gears and locker and disk brakes for an 8.8 so i jsut wanted to be wider! but this is all jsut thinkin i still have to get a front axle!

stoney

you could run a front waggy setup, they are 62 or so inches the only drawback is the low pinion.

or just go the full width up front and leave the 8.8 out back, you would have an awesome turning radius, kinda like a hay swather:D

I thought your 30 was as good as a 44, whatcha need a 44 for?:D

A rear 8.8 from an F-150 or Bronco is going to be about 66".

CRASH

8.8 from a 89 licoln mark 7 is approx .5" wider than stock D35 only problem is the 28 or 29 spline axles. Still it held up to a 5.0 ho in a heavy car. Dunno. I've got one in now with 4.56 and 35's. Works great so far.....Comes with disc brakes and should be alot cheaper than a ploder 8.8

Accually gary i have seen that on some rigs!! not a bad idea!!!! that would be pretty neat!!

o and my 30 is jsut as good as a 44 ( i just want to go wider!!;) :eek: )

ha
stoney

Back