• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Cruise no workey

rcassettyjr

NAXJA Forum User
My parents liked my 00XJ soo much, today they went out and bought a 99XJ. It is cherry except for the cruise does not work. When you push the botton, the light does not turn on and there is no speed control. I searched here and only found one thread on troubleshooting cruise and it said the switch may be the culprit.

Is there anything to watch out for when removing the airbag?

Is it just the 2 screws on the backside of the wheel?

What else should be checked in the cruise system components?

It's a 99XJ 4 door with a 4.0/AW4/8.25 with 3.55's if that makes any difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Its probably the clockspring. Had a Chrysler Voyager with the same problem.
Take it to a garage and have them mess with the airbag removal and let them fix it.
Thats one part of an XJ or any other car for that matter, that I won't mess with.
Not sure on price, but it was a reasonable fix.

I would do some checking before assuming the clock spring has failed. The airbag and horn wires also go through the clock spring. If they both work, the likelyhood of the clockspring being the problem is much lower. If the airbag wires are open, the airbag warning light on the dash will stay on. You know how to test the horn. I would get the FSM wiring diagram and check the outupt of the cruise control switches at the large connector at the base of the steering column, before I took the wheel off.

yeah if your horn honks then the chances of hte clockspring being bad are somewhat slim.

To test the switch though you don't have to take the clockspring off you just unplug the switches from it. The resistance values for each button are as follows:

at rest for both the resistance reads 0
On/off Pressed 0.917kohms
Set Pressed 6.68kohms
Accel Pressed 15.5kohms
Cancel Pressed .5ohms
Coast Pressed 2.947kohms

Btw, did you check all your fuses?

after my vehicle speed sensor went out, my cruse didnt work (even though i replaced the VSS)...

:patriot:

XJ_ranger said:
after my vehicle speed sensor went out, my cruse didnt work (even though i replaced the VSS)...
Yeah, but when your VSS died, I bet you had funky intermittent speedometer readings, didn't you? Mine sure did; 45mph in the drive-thru, 0mph on the freeway and Mach3 in school zones.

I found out what the culprit was. The OEM battery was still in it and it was heavily corroded around the terminals and the hold down bar. We replaced the battery with a new one and while it was out, I cleaned all the corroded surfaces. While the battery was out, I tried to unplug the cruise module. The plug is corroded to the unit. I messed with it for 10 mins and couldn't get it to come off so I gave up. We put the new battery in and magically the cruise is now working. Apparently some of the corrosion got into the connector and moving the contacts around must have cleaned them off.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

Back