• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ Paint Problems?

4xBob

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a younger Cherokee to add to my 1990. I looked at a 1999, dark green, which had the paint coming off on the roof in scabby patches - down to metal and rusting, not just down to primer. Owner says Chrysler is going to repaint the roof. The question is, do late model XJs have defective paint? If so, which years?

As far as I know, the paint on all years was garbage :(

I have a 1994 XJ and the paint is peeling everywhere! First the clear coat starts bubbling up, then the paint just flakes off :-/

My 99 has a bad patch on the top corner (windshield driver side) that I am working on repairing. When I was looking for an XJ, every 98 and 99 that I looked at(roughly 9 or 10 over a couple month period) had the problem with paint starting to rust on the roof in the windshield/gutter area ....some had it on the passenger side, some had it on the driver's side. Don't even get me started on the bottom rear door hinges :(

I'm trying to get everything taken care of before winter with chassis saver from Magnet Paints. The absolute WORST part of my situation was that the section that I'm repairing (top corner driver's side) had a hole eaten right THROUGH it about the size of a bb :( Rust sucks.

i've never had a problem with the paint on my 99.....but when i get my new bumpers on it its gettin repainted the pretty blue grey that jeep has....i hate white, it shows EVERYTHING. only thing i've found i have probs with is getting the bugs off the front gril and bumper, cuz its that cheap cheesy plastic.

I wax my 98 a couple of times a year and because it was an SE it aparently did not get clear coated, at least I does not look like it to me. As for bugs on the nose I use whatever cooking spray is on sale and/or in the kitchen. They come off alot easier.
The only paint problem areas I have are from the pin striping in the woods around here. I also wash it during the winter to get the ice and snow snot off as well as the road treatment they use, finishing it up with whatever spray on wax the self service car wash has..

Hmm.. the paint on my '90 XJ, with 170k, and has been parked outside most of it's life, is in GREAT condition. No peeling paint, no bubbling of clear coat, no oxidization, etc. The only blemishes in the paint I can find are from rock chips, door dings, trees, etc etc.

It's the Canadian government subsidized paint that's the culprit here! :laugh2:
4xBob said:
I'm looking for a younger Cherokee to add to my 1990. I looked at a 1999, dark green, which had the paint coming off on the roof in scabby patches - down to metal and rusting, not just down to primer. Owner says Chrysler is going to repaint the roof. The question is, do late model XJs have defective paint? If so, which years?

my 87 has no clearcoat left.. just a dull grey.. my 99 has some small tell-tale bubbles around th ewindshield.. no clearcoat issues though.. i know chrysler had problems with their paint process around 98 - 99.. i have seen several dodge neons running around in full primer because the paint never adhered to the primer.. never seen a newer XJ with that though..

the paint on mine is fine except for some rock rash and the fact that every inch is covered in light scratches from the woods

My 2000 has some spots where the clear coat is coming off. mostly around the rain gutters in the front. But Crystler has had paint problems for a long time, just look at all the minivans, neons, and trucks. I think that the light blue seems to be the worst, then the gray/ red trucks, and some of the maroon 92/95 minivans, and neons. I think how much time the vehicle spends in the sun is the big factor on how fast they peel.

Starting in the late 80s, most manufacturers had paint problems when the EPA forced them to change the paints and primers to a low-volatile formula. Late 80s black had a horrible peeling problem, but various colors through the years seem to have had major problems. That said, my white one is good except when the roof gets wet; I get pale white streaks down the windshield...

My 89' has flakey peely clearcoat on the roof,hood,n the rear hatch.Funny thing is the sides aren't even anywhere near pealing,paint is fine there. :dunno:

Ya... now that you guys mentioned it, my rear part of the roof near the hatch; has a patch of non existant paint, but looks like it was scuffed down to the primer, the previous owner didn't abuse it. And I got a roughly 6x6 of acid rain water stain on my hood. Other than that a stupid neighborhood cat scratch... mine is about normal for scratches everywhere especially for a black Cherokee where you can see every little scratch. :doh:

:viking:

I'm thinking that most likely the rusted ones that I looked at (see other post), including mine have been influenced a lot more negatively since I'm in the rust belt (western PA). Any car I've ever owned it's been the same procedure...wait until spring, then sand off that year's layer of rust & repaint :(

I have to say though that for a 99 (compared to other manufacturers cars of the same years), the xj is definitely worse off.

on my 2000 the hood paint is peeling. as if somebody sand blasted it from 20 feet. the windshield has the same little scratches in it as if the owner befor me followed the snow plows and gravel trucks all day. other than that the black isnt as black as it used to be...but i never wash it anyway. when it really needs new paint i'm goin to go camo... with an orange pearl?
lol

damn.......wish my white one would ever look that good...no matter how much i wash it, its still dirty...which is why i'm ognna get it repainted lol

Actually, I try to keep it in good shape. (Having only 58,000 miles help though too) It's gotta last me awhile now that it is FINALLY paid off.

Last edited:
Back