• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff oil

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing both of my wheel cylinders and outer rear main seals in the axles i need to put some oil in the diff. I think i have a limited slip diff, would it hurt to run straight lucas in it? Noticed in a couple threads i found when searching you have to put a friction additive or modifier, thats why i was just curious to see if i could run straight lucas.

MudslinginXJ said:
After replacing both of my wheel cylinders and outer rear main seals in the axles i need to put some oil in the diff. I think i have a limited slip diff, would it hurt to run straight lucas in it? Noticed in a couple threads i found when searching you have to put a friction additive or modifier, thats why i was just curious to see if i could run straight lucas.
if you got a limited slip diff you need to put in a friction modifier. IF you do not your limited slip will wear our real fast.

Kejtar said:
if you got a limited slip diff you need to put in a friction modifier. IF you do not your limited slip will wear our real fast.

I dimly seem to remember that there are a couple of 'off the shelf' lubes that already have the modifier added but can't remember where or brand. I think I read it here and then happend to notice it when I was out poking around. It might have been lucas but I'm not sure. Well, gotta go scare more kids
:wow:

Lucas is crap. Use a good synthetic such as Amsoil or even Mobile 1. It will more than pay for itself in gas mileage. I believe Amsoil says no additives are needed with their oil.

Back