• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 again....

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
AW4 1990 4.0. Got the tranny rebuilt 4 or 5 months ago. The only thing that I've noticed it's doing wrong is when I shift into reverse it will jerk backwards.(like almost where it gives you a whiplash) Now here's for the part that might help someone diagnose. It never does it until after its warm(or about 10 minutes of driving) and when I'm about to shift into reverse the engine starts to rev up about 200 rpms.Then when I get it into the reverse position it hesitates and jerks back. I've tried adjusting the TV linkage(didn't help) and I've also taken it back to the shop that rebuilt it and they said its because its idling too high.(it idles at 500 so hmmm not a problem I don't think)
Does anyone have any suggestions because its getting annoying thinking I just spent 1500 bucks and its not "like new."
TIA
Collin

Sounds like nice tight clutches and a little driveline play in combination. I´d be glad it isn´t the reverse problem, you shift into reverse and have to give it 2000 RPM´s before it moves. It´ll probably wear in over time. I´d pay real close attention, into letting the motor idle down before shifting into reverse.

I'll see if it'll wear in over time. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Anyone?

Back