• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help indentifying this

tom63

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a new poster but have enjoyed ready this Forum in the past and have gotten a lot a valuable information off of it. My 89 4.0 has a small hose fitting on the intake manifold that is covered by a 1" long rubber plug. I've always noticed it but never paid much attention to it until this week when I discovered it could be removed and found the fitting underneath. Does anyone know why this is there? Was it meant for some sort of emission device that my vehicle wasn't supplied with? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. The first thing we need to know is what type vehicle. Year, engine, tranny, etc. They vary quite a bit. Also tell us where the fitting is in relationship to the throttle body.

It's an 89 Laredo, Automatic Transmission, all stock. The fitting is located on the manifold just behind the air filter box.

I just took a look at it so I could give a better description. It's actually located directly between the throttle body and the EGR Valve coming out of the manifold at a 45 degree angle.

Just popped the hood on my '89 4.0L. Cbremer's right. It has a hose stamped "11/32 VL" from there attached to the top left side of the vacuum booster (above the brake reservoir). I know it came that way from the factory 'cause I'm the only owner. Were power brakes just an option back then? I thought they all came with power as standard equipment.

Last edited:
No booster means no power brakes.

I'd get that fitting plugged up asap and call it good.

Woody

So you are saying that there isn't a large black circular metal unit between the brake master cylinder and the firewall?

I figured it out. The Bendix ABS that I have doesn't have a seperate booster. It's a self-contained master cylinder/booster/modulator unit.

Back