• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTR MUDS in the snow???

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
I have Hi Tec retreads' OTR MUDS (31x10.5) and i need to go up to tahoe this weekend and i was wondering how well they do in the snow and mud. They are supposed to be mud tires but i just wanna hear some input about them...these do not have the green diamonds in them. Thanks in advance

Brett

I also have hi tec retreads (Muds also). I have had them on slick ice, snow trails and deep snow and they have done very well for me.

Couple of comments though:
I have not had a all terrain on this xj to compare them to.
Mine are 33x12.5x15.
Mine are siped (I had them done as soon as I got them because I do like the snow.

With any new car or tire on the snow, take it easy and be cautious, find a safe spot to test it out and get a feel for how it reacts.

Good Luck,
Michael

Mudders in deep snow seem to have good traction, but under 4 or 5 inches the big lugges tend to act like hockey pucks and slip around. If other vehicles are doing OK on the road up there then your 4x4 should do OK. Be careful of your stopping distance (all 4 wheels have those hockey pucks). 2xtreme said he had his tires siped, that makes a big difference in snow. Look at a snow tire and you'll see they have many edges for gripping the snow. You'll do fine just don't get in a big hurry.

Off-road, or in deep snow, mud tires are absolutely the best. On the road in typical wintertime, slushy, icy, a-little-bit-of-snow conditions they are not so good. ATs are much better in those conditions. Just drive carefully and realize that if there's some slushy ice on the road you'll probably have less traction in 2WD than most of the cars sharing the road with you.

Around here I think both Discount and Big O offer tire siping. Go in and ask them...and it's not like snipe hunting.

allright, didnt have time to get em siped. i guess ill just take it nice and easy. any pointers besides go sloow? start of in second gear? although thats kinda hard with 31s and 3.07s...

Back