• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal under rear seats.

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
This is kind of an odd question, but I was wondering if the metal that runs along the bottom of the rear seats is load bearing. I would like to cut it out and utilize the space under that seat better, but I don't want to cut out something that is essential to the jeeps strength.

i would say it is a pretty substantial chassis stiffener... i was thinking about cutting the area behind it with the tranny tunnel and rebuilding it flat if the clearance is there with a lft...

Well actually I'm toying with the idea of taking out the bench and replacing it with two bucket seats. Removing that metal would make it much easier to install.

Osprey413 said:
Well actually I'm toying with the idea of taking out the bench and replacing it with two bucket seats. Removing that metal would make it much easier to install.
I'm going to do the same thing but I'm planning on keeping the metal crossmember (or whatever it's called) and I"ll just fab a permanent (unslideable) bracket to go on top of it.

Hey dude, I will tell you right now. Don't cut them!!!!!
here is the deal, that cross member runs right along the line of the front of your rear leaf springs. it is tied into the uni/frame
it does two things for you.
1 it connects the unibody sub frame (the frame rails that are viewable from the outside to the rockerpanel body frame. the jeep as two frames one for the body and one for the drivetrain and although they are not separate-able they do have key connection points. the cross member is one of them. (notice how it is made from the thicker metal that the frame is made from and not the thin flooring material.
2 it connects to one side of your spring mount in the fron of your rear leaf springs there is a torx head bolt that holds the spring mount square.

it also helps keep the transmission tunnel and floor in the right shape. there is a long section of that area with no suppor in the center that would be easily bent with the weight of the feet of the rear passengers.

ok well that being said. your best bet is to mod the bucket seat to mount on top of them.

BTW I keep posting this link of my jeep but if you waant to see what i am talking about if you go here http://www.wetpaintfilms.com/heep2jeep/ and scrol down to about mid way down you will see the connection to the spring on one of those pictures.

other people may say differnt but i know one thing. I have had hands on with my jeep and i would never cut it out.
holy crap this thing is long i will stop now... :wow: Hasta

muduck18 said:
BTW I keep posting this link of my jeep but if you waant to see what i am talking about if you go here http://www.wetpaintfilms.com/heep2jeep/ and scrol down to about mid way down you will see the connection to the spring on one of those pictures.

Holy cow man, is that all rust repair or were you doing something special there? I can't really tell what's going on, but it sure looks like a damn lot of work.

muduck18 said:

other people may say differnt but i know one thing. I have had hands on with my jeep and i would never cut it out.

I'm sorry but this is the first I know of your project. Why in the heck did you have to replace so much of the floor? Was it all just rusted out or do you need a lot of extra strenght for some reason?

muduck18 said:
if you go here
http://www.wetpaintfilms.com/heep2jeep/

No Holy crap that is a hugh project! Good thing labor from yourself is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you put anything in the frame section while you had it so exposed?

BTW, original poster

I think you could remove those parts and replace them with a welded in storage/seat support system really easily.

hinkley

being he's from Pa i would think its a floor replacement project.. awesome job on it !!!! i was planning to do the same thing until my floors "let go" before i was ready to do it.. now the rear of the rig is a full 1" wider than the hatch....

standard

standard

the damage is so extensive i am retiring the rig... i get the new toy tommorow!!!!

I can tell you that myself and others have had cracks in the floor under the back seat. This means that it's carrying some load and the stress is causing metal fatigue and eventual cracks.

I agree with Mark, you could change the configuration of the floor in that area to increase storage, but be sure to make it stronger at the same time.

Back