• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$350 limit for budget boost... what should I get?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to spend around $350 or less on parts for a 2" budget boost for my '96 XJ.

I've been looking at the RE 6160 with possibly some better shocks. What would be some good ones to upgrade to within my budget? I will most likely order from Dirk.

I remember reading something awhile back about upgrading the add a leafs in this kit to full or longer ones. Am I remembering right or am I smoking something?

And how much do you think a shop is going to charge for the installation? How likely is it I'll need a T-case drop or an SYE?

Not likely you will need the drop, definatly won't need the SYE. Get the full length leaves as opposed to the half ones. Why have a shop do it, it isn't that hard to do this kit. Just curious, but you could used the money you save for your shock upgrade, or even some other upgrade. The kit only runs like $200, so do it yourself and have $150 left for other goodies.

Spend about 100 bucks on parts from people on this very forum that have used parts. then you've still got 250 for anything else you'll need. You don't need an RE kit for this kind of thing, it's just not worth that much.

Just how "easy" would it be to install the kit? What all is invovled, and what tools would be required?

I mainly would like a shop to do it so I don't have to deal with any possibly broken shock mounting bolts.

Is it worth it to go with the OME shocks? Also does the RE kit come with the full length add a leaf, or will I need to request it as an upgrade?

Thanks

OK. One step at a time. As stated you can piece together a lift this small for about $100 in the for sale forum. If you decide not to go that route then you will have to request the full-length leafs for the rear.

Either way its gonna be about the same when it comes to installing....and yes you probably will break off the upper shock mount bolts, but thats no biggie as long as you can drill and tap. Some here have even drilled through the floor and put a nut on the other side.

After that setback, all thats involved is dropping the rear axle and removing one spring retaining clip and the bottom leaf. Add the new leaf put the bottom back on with the new centering pin and the rear is done.

The front is eaiser--simply un bolt the trackbar at the axle end and unbolt the lower control arms at the body mounts, unbolt swaybar, shocks, and drop the axle....SLOWLY...this will release the springs and you can put the spacers in. You can also rent a spring compresor but I think dropping the axle is easier.

As to OME shocks......I think they are overkill. I like the DT3000s that come with this kit, but some don't. Try em and see.

If you want to try the lift yourself, go for it you will learn a lot and if you have questions just ask.

Basic hand tools are all thats necessary, some good jackstands, and a jack. Air tools are nice (quicker) but not necessary.

PS Where are you located? Perhaps someone would be willing to stop by and lend a hand. I would if you were close.

Last edited:
Back