• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlamp relay

J Dubs Noling

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 92 with that special relay that keeps the headlights on for about 1 min. after removing key from ignition. Come out there today and the battery is dead, headlights come on when i hook up the jump cables, and headlight switch is off. after 20 seconds, smoke starts coming out the e.c.u.

anyone know where the relay that controls this function is located? or what it's got to do with the e.c.u.???

thanks feller

josh

Try doing a search for 'Sentinal' module.

Hopefully, the smoke didn't actually come out of your ECU, but rather from the headlamp wiring that is located in that area.

The headlight delay module mounts just behind the headlight switch. It is completely independent of the ECU.

Fo Sho.

i thought it was independent of the e.c.u...

so anyone have any possible explanation for why the e.c.u. would be smoking. i can feel part of it get warm when i put the jumper cables on.

thanks for the replies

I havn't check my ECU, but I would expect it to get warm -- atleast in some places.

Does the vehicle start atleast? If it does, chances are the ECU is OK. If the ECU did smoke, some the potting jelly(inside the ECU) should be heavily discolored or cracked/charred.

Back