• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 AW4 in a 91?

XJONABUDGET

NAXJA Member #980
As it says, Will a 97 AW4 work correctly and bolt/plug into a 91 cherokee?

I just did this same swap. And, no. The tcu's are different. What I did to make the swap super easy was get a kit from BrettM here on the board that bypasses the tcu and allows you to shift the tranny as a manual via a rotary knob. The kit was insanely easy to install and seems to be of real good quality. I love mine, and if you like the ability to shift as a manual you'd like this kit. The kit I got also allows you to lock the converter in any gear, giving you the choice of being in any gear you want, an actual 1st gear, not the usual 1-2 gear as with the manual, great for compression braking on steep inclines.
Besides that, the only other differences are the pickups for the cooler lines (just switch them over from the old trans) and the actual shifter mech. on trans, again just switch this over too! good luck, Judd

well, that wont work fo rme then. I need a direct plug and play, This is not a wheeler, just a daily driver and a buddy i know has a trans from a 97. Guess i need an older one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it can and has been done, it's just gonna take a little research and splicing. I know the 91 TCU is a 32 pin while the newer trans is a 26 pin, hmmm, 6 more pins?? This is what I found and decided what the hell, let's make this easy. Of course mine is not a DD and is trailered everywhere it goes. Good luck, Judd

Back