• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

76 Lincoln MKIV Disc'd 9" Rear Axle: Will it fit?

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
I can get a 76 Lincoln Continental Mark IV Disc-brake Ford 9" axle complete for $100 CDN. The guy says the "inside measurement" is 54". Does anyone know offhand if this width will fit my Jeep? (I know I have to fab brackets, etc, that's no problem). I have a 4 door 97 with an 8.25 right now. Should I even consider this particular 9" as a replacement? I have the time and money to build it up right, but does it even come heavily equipped enough to be a significant strength gain over the 8.25?

Thanks anyone,
Beej.

IIRC that is a great find!!! I was searching for that axle desperatly before i did an 8.8! From all the research i have found, which i no longer have sadly, tells that it should work fine. The measurement you want is WMS to WMS. (wheel mounting surface) Stock Jeep is 60", or is it 59"? Cant recall exactly. Those 9"s are also the big bearing housings. Which gives you the ability to run 40 spline axles, and just have a plain stronger setup.

Am I incorrect or missing anything?

Matt

Scrappy said:
IIRC that is a great find!!! I was searching for that axle desperatly before i did an 8.8! From all the research i have found, which i no longer have sadly, tells that it should work fine. The measurement you want is WMS to WMS. (wheel mounting surface) Stock Jeep is 60", or is it 59"? Cant recall exactly. Those 9"s are also the big bearing housings. Which gives you the ability to run 40 spline axles, and just have a plain stronger setup.
Am I incorrect or missing anything?
Matt
Great news Matt, thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to have to drive 2 hours to get something I don't need. Its $100 + fuel there and back! Unfortunately, he only knew the measurement above, and he won't be back until I am supposed to meet him there, so I only have the inside measurement for now. I am assuming he means from the inside of the inner backing plate, ( I hope). I can handle it if its a bit narrow, wheel spacers will do it. If it works out, I will go for the big axleshafts.
Thanks for the response,
Brent.

Beej said:
. If it works out, I will go for the big axleshafts.
Thanks for the response,
Brent.
The bigger axle shafts will require a different 3rd member, with bigger bearing journals, to accommodate the larger diameter shafts.

FYI, Dan

Dan Turner said:
The bigger axle shafts will require a different 3rd member, with bigger bearing journals, to accommodate the larger diameter shafts.FYI, Dan
thanks Dan, I appreciate all the help I can get.
Brent.

JEONLYEP said:
Just a thought. Don't know if it helps any. But go to Wal-mart, the mall, or the cheap auto lots and find one to measure. Don't forget to take the tape measure.
That's a great idea! I'm going to look at the automall later tonight. Thanks, I never would have thought of that.
Brent

And to think that I almost didn't reply cause I didn't want to sound stupid.

I've done it a couple of times before. Like when I was looking for a door handle that would work for my half door, I cruised several car lots and parking lots until I saw what I needed.

Hope you find one to measure.

If measuring in a parking lot, maybe have a dollar in your hand also. That way if the owner comes back while your under there you can say 'I was getting this dollar back that I dropped'.

JEONLYEP said:
If measuring in a parking lot, maybe have a dollar in your hand also. That way if the owner comes back while your under there you can say 'I was getting this dollar back that I dropped'.
lol, Good call, I wouldn't have thought of that, I would have tried to explain what I was doing just before getting my ass kicked! :D

another axle that might be worth looking into is a 9 out of a lincoln versalies .They also have the disc brakes.A friend of mine is running one in a 55 Chevy w 400 plus HP.Not sure about wms dimensions though. NAXJA

the brake issue on a 9" is easy to solve as there are lots of places that will sell you the brackets that you weld on just inside of the outer flange and buy some calipers and rotors and you are in business. I just built up a full floater NASCAR style axle and that's all there was to it.

just remember that the outside leaf to outside leaf is 46"...... I just picked up a toyota 8" thats 58" wms-wms... the axle retaining bolt to bolt is 48" ...... it's gonna be real close..... make sure your leafs will fit........

The Versiales is 58 whl to whl. I have one. I think the big Lincolns are 60 or 61 whl to whl. I have one to me name somehwere in this world. Long story, if I find it I paln on putting it under my Comanche. I think the 35 is 60 or 61 whl to whl. Still you should check. Also, make sure you get all the brake bracket and the caliphers. You will need them for core returns. Cores can be expensive. PM with your address. I might be able to find an article on swapping in the Vesailles unit which may be of help. Still haven't completed that project (non-jeep).
Tom

Picked it up this afternoon, thanks for all the help you guys. I even dickered him down to $75. He was right, its exactly 54" from backing plate to backing plate. From the outside of the discs it measures about 60". Its hard to tell exactly. Its complete too, he even gave me the old driveshaft and the old rotors. He was in the process of readying it to go under his toyota truck so it has no perches or shock mounts, but it has been freshly painted and has new rotors and calipers on it. But there are downsides, like now I have to grind off that fresh paint to weld on mounts and perches, and it has no brake lines, and those new rotors have six lugs to go with his toyota. I guess I will have to reinstall the old rotors or buy new ones. I didn't measure, but I think the old ones are 5 on 4.5". He also said it has the stock gears, would anyone by chance know what they are or how to check? There is nothing stamped on the diff and there are no tabs on the third member bolts. I was planning to regear anyway, but it would be great if they were 4.10s! I wish I had a digital camera. I'll post up pics when I get a chance.
Thanks again everyone,
Brent.

Back