• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad clunking when pulling from stop in rear

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 country. It has done this since I got it 4 years ago with 65K. Now has 190K. When I stop at a light and sit, and then let off the brakes to pull away, it feels like it clunks downward in the rear and settles. It is extremely annoying. Here's the wierd part: 2 years ago I installed a 3" lift, and it went away for several months, but then came back. 6 months ago, I installed different leafs, and it went away for about a month, and now is back again. I wish it wouldn't tease me. Is this axle wrap? I installed long add a leafs that are strong and extend almost the whole way, so I don't know how it could be. Someone said it was the slip yoke, but it just doesn't feel like it is. It is not sticking brakes because I installed rear discs with no change. Please help if you know something!

Jackhill442 said:
I have a '96 country. It has done this since I got it 4 years ago with 65K. Now has 190K. When I stop at a light and sit, and then let off the brakes to pull away, it feels like it clunks downward in the rear and settles. It is extremely annoying. Here's the wierd part: 2 years ago I installed a 3" lift, and it went away for several months, but then came back. 6 months ago, I installed different leafs, and it went away for about a month, and now is back again. I wish it wouldn't tease me. Is this axle wrap? I installed long add a leafs that are strong and extend almost the whole way, so I don't know how it could be. Someone said it was the slip yoke, but it just doesn't feel like it is. It is not sticking brakes because I installed rear discs with no change. Please help if you know something!

If each time you replaced the leafs in the back it went away and then came back later it sounds like axle wrap. What kind of leaf pack do you have? and by any chance would you happen to have blocks in the back?
ALso check your ubolts and make sure they're tight as well as the center pin in the leaf pack.

Remi, I'd say it was all the special Polish beer bottles rolling around in the back of your XJ. When you take off they all roll to the back together. :cheers:

Kejtar said:
If each time you replaced the leafs in the back it went away and then came back later it sounds like axle wrap. What kind of leaf pack do you have? and by any chance would you happen to have blocks in the back?
ALso check your ubolts and make sure they're tight as well as the center pin in the leaf pack.

When I replaced my spring pack I installed new U-bolts. These U-bolts were tight but loosened off after about 1000 miles. I tightened 'em up and have had no problems since. Try hitting 'em with an impact gun, see if that helps

Ian

Is this a stock XJ? Usually this boils down to one of two things; either a worn u-joint somewhere in the rear driveshaft, or mild springwrap that puts a little preloaded tension on the rear when you come to a stop and hold it in place with the brakes. Believe it or not, sometimes a little grease on the splines can help quiet that however.

THat's a nono... you don't want to strip them by accident. Tighten them per spec but don't over do it.

Shit, I always hammer on em with an impact. I haven't broken one yet. Most everyone I know uses an impact to tighten down u-bolts. I'm all for torquing properly, but really I thing its overrated in this case.

jeepguy97 said:
Shit, I always hammer on em with an impact. I haven't broken one yet. Most everyone I know uses an impact to tighten down u-bolts. I'm all for torquing properly, but really I thing its overrated in this case.
I had a set that stripped (while using a torque wrench). It was a low quality set ($10 from Autozone) but still I used the values from the packaging and they got trashed. If you look at the impact, some of them can go pretty high which is way more then the particular bolt can handle.

Thanks for all the suggestions: I actually just fixed it today by lubricating the slip yoke with high pressure grease. The slip was sticking, causing the axle to be unable to move freely up and down. I love this forum, it is incredibly helpful. Thanks again!

I got the same noise in mine and ended up finding out that it was from my cracked exhuast manifold. When the engine torqued enough, from an aggressive driver lets say, the side to side movement of the engine flexed the broken joint in the exhuast which moved the whole exhaust system making a big clunking noise under the XJ until the engine settled to its usual dull roar. That ended up being my experience anyway. New Banks headers and polyurethane motor and transmission mounts helped a lot!

Back