• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken bolt in rear upper shock mount????

Steele

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here broken the top end bolts off in the rear shock mount? I ended up breaking both bolts off on the top end of the rear shock and was wondering if there is an easy solution to replace these encapsulated nut/ bolts. I tried drilling and tapping them but in the tapping process the encapsulated nut broke as well. I'm looking into using a rivnut, but after 3 attempts they are not taking.... n e suggestions.... I might try a magnetic holder and see if i can sneak a nut in thru the uni body, if that is possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. -Andy 98 XJ

I broke all four. Even using tons of PB Blaster didn't help on my '99. I actually had to cut a couple of access holes in the bed to drill them out from above (after breaking off some easy outs in them).

Had this happen to me on my '97. I drilled out the old bolt, then put a new nut on top of the old welded on one, and the put the bolt through. You can get a nut up there, but it's awkward. Look at where the shock mounted to the car and you should see an opening on the front side of the mount. That's where you can slip the nut in through.

Back