• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Override the NSS

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Any one know how to override the NSS? Or have a link to some art. to that explains it. I'm in need of help with this. The NSS is killing my XJ. Starts when it wants now. Any ideas would be great. Thanks. Juice

juicexj24 said:
Any one know how to override the NSS? Or have a link to some art. to that explains it. I'm in need of help with this. The NSS is killing my XJ. Starts when it wants now. Any ideas would be great. Thanks. Juice
find the wire that goes to NSS and ground it.

take the NSS apart and clean it, they usually work fine after that.......theyr'e real expensive so try cleaning it first, if that doesn't work out there is always your local friendly junk yard, I lucked out and got one for $15.00

Last edited:
If you're not willing or able to fix the NSS, I strongly advise that you provide that ground via a pushbutton or other momentary contact switch; don't just bypass, because it is called a neutral SAFETY switch for a reason.

I watched a guy at the races, crush his pelvis with his own NSS, bypass. Was looking around in his engine compartment, in a hurry and asked a buddy to start it, it was in gear. Only takes once. Seriously, with the key on and the shifter in gear with no NSS (jumped), it´s possible to stick a screwdriver in the wrong spot and drive over yourself. Mine has always idled up well over a thousand (sometimes 12-1500 RPM) for a few seconds before settling in, to a lower idle. :skull2:
M Currie gives good advice.

I'm firmly in the camp with the others who say FIX the NSS, don't bypass it. The 4.0 starts off at a fairly high idle and not having a properly functioning NSS on these particular vehicles is something that can kill you.

um, am i wrong? i thought the cherokee has no NSS - atleast my 92' with the AX-15 has no NSS... i can start it in 1st without pushing in the clutch - no problem...:compwork:

XJ_ranger said:
um, am i wrong? i thought the cherokee has no NSS - atleast my 92' with the AX-15 has no NSS... i can start it in 1st without pushing in the clutch - no problem...:compwork:

I guess if your smart enough to manaully shift gears, you don´t need a NSS. Us autodummies, better rely on technology. :D
One of my favorite sayings is "Faster than than engineers can design a fool proof machine, God designs a better fool". Not calling anyone a fool, especially when safety (and pain) is concerned. I guess prudent or not prudent, would be a better way of saying the same thing. Or perhaps, you get away with it, until you don´t. Or if it gets really bad, criminal negligence.
Saw a bunch of guys, chasing an empty mud rail, through the pit, right down the lane between a double row of staged race trucks, right by the playground, through the spectators parking lot, into the last parked car in the lot. A mint and built Toyota, show and shine, the guy had parked 30 feet away from everybody else (afraid he was gonna get his paint scratched).
If you live long enough, you try and learn from your mistakes. Or if your smart, from the mistakes of others, which is a lot less painful way of learning.

Last edited:
My NSS stops me from starting about 1 in 10 times. I wired up a button that goes from one of the posts on the starter to positive. When I push this button, the starter turns over, key or no key, in any gear. It won't start without the key, and will only start in any gear when I'm pushing the button.

ZmOz said:
My NSS stops me from starting about 1 in 10 times. I wired up a button that goes from one of the posts on the starter to positive. When I push this button, the starter turns over, key or no key, in any gear. It won't start without the key, and will only start in any gear when I'm pushing the button.

I'd do something similar, except make the pushbutton ground the NSS circuit, rather than crank the starter directly. Starting without the NSS would then be easy but would require intention and two hands.

juicexj24 said:

cut all wires from the NSS, then pull them up to the engine bay.
look on the plug that goes to the wireing harness and seperate the B and C wires(marked on the plug). connect those two on an 89 and a 92 that i have done the wires were the same colors (1 all black and 1 black with gray line) protect the ends of the other wires and tuck them all away on the firewall, plug it in and you should be good.

also check the small 15v ignition fuse in the under hood fuse box.

the above is for those who search......

Back