• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accel Super Tune up kits

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Well its about that time where my xj needs a little tune up. I was browsing through the 4WDH catalog and found the Accel super tune up kit, comes with u-groove copper core plugs, set of 'extreme 5000' plug wires, and a performance cap and rotor. It's pretty much everything I need, and it's $70, which isn't too bad. So, anyone have any experience with Accel products? Im gonna need to get something soon, so any opinions are welcome.

I did search but didn't find anything about Accel products..

I love my wires, cap, rotor, its not that kit, because I have a HO, but it works wonders. We're also running Accel stuff on out 56 Chevy.

When I get a HO Im going to try that kit, as it seems like a damn good price for what you get. :cheers:

I have that kit on mine now. I had a serious issue with thier "super" coil. It crapped out after 3k. My XJ is not a "daily" driver so it took more than a couple of months to get that problem, by then no one wanted to mess with it.

I used 4wd.com for mine:
http://4wd.com/shop/productdetail.a...cat=&division=2&category=200&productsku=TST17

The wires, cap/rotor are great. The plugs seemed to do just as good a job as my previous Champion truck plugs. I recieved a $10 off and free shipping from those guys a month or two after I started getting their catalog, might want to hold off just in case, or hit them up from free shipping.

balloo93 said:
I have that kit on mine now. I had a serious issue with thier "super" coil. It crapped out after 3k. My XJ is not a "daily" driver so it took more than a couple of months to get that problem, by then no one wanted to mess with it.

I used 4wd.com for mine:
http://4wd.com/shop/productdetail.a...cat=&division=2&category=200&productsku=TST17

The wires, cap/rotor are great. The plugs seemed to do just as good a job as my previous Champion truck plugs. I recieved a $10 off and free shipping from those guys a month or two after I started getting their catalog, might want to hold off just in case, or hit them up from free shipping.

Interesting...

Im runnin the accel 8.8mm plug wires on my XJ and on my chevy p/u. As far as the super coils go i have used them on many vehicles all GMs but have never had any problems with any of them.Id use Accel befo id use MSD. Just my .02

hjeepxj said:
I love my wires, cap, rotor, its not that kit, because I have a HO, but it works wonders. We're also running Accel stuff on out 56 Chevy.

When I get a HO Im going to try that kit, as it seems like a damn good price for what you get. :cheers:

What's the difference between the HO and nonHO? Is it a different cap? I have a 97 sport. I currently have 8mm ACCEL wires that work great. It's time to do a tune up though and this deal sounds pretty good. I just want to make sure the cap and rotor would fit before I order it. And what's different between a 93 and 94? 4wd.com lists a kit from 91-93 and another one for 94-99. Same motor right? Sorry for all the ?'s

Deyman said:
What's the difference between the HO and nonHO? Is it a different cap? I have a 97 sport. I currently have 8mm ACCEL wires that work great. It's time to do a tune up though and this deal sounds pretty good. I just want to make sure the cap and rotor would fit before I order it. And what's different between a 93 and 94? 4wd.com lists a kit from 91-93 and another one for 94-99. Same motor right? Sorry for all the ?'s

Answer'n Q's is what this board is all about. :cheers:

The difference between HO and non HO is the Fuel Injection, and apparently the Distributer changed as well. The NON HO makes 177 HP, where as the HO makes 190-193 HP.

It changed in 91, so 87-90s run the NON ho.

I couldn't tell you the difference between 93-94, I wouldnt doubt that there was one though. I know that the exhaust systems from Dynomax are the same till 92, then they changed in 93? Weird.

Technically all 4.0s are "the same" just some slight differences, the most coming from 90-91. Just run the one for 94-99 and you'll be fine.

I've been using the Accel wires, cap, and rotor with Bosch platinum plugs for the past 25K miles. I'll stick with that combo with as long as I have the truck.

--Matt

egon said:
I've been using the Accel wires, cap, and rotor with Bosch platinum plugs for the past 25K miles. I'll stick with that combo with as long as I have the truck.

--Matt

That's the same combo I was going to use. I bought the +4 plugs already. I just have to order up the wires, cap and rotor. Any opinions on the ACCEL plugs? They come with the kit and if they're good, I might just return the +4's and get my $30 back.

sorry to dredge up this old thread. but i want to save space and not start a new thread.

When you guys ordered that Accel truck tune-up kit, did it come with the Extreme 9000 wires? or did it come with Super Stock wires?

I just got my kit and i have super stock wires :(
Summit Racing is getting a few phone calls

i run accel products on my old bronco, and it fires up and responds better than my 98 XJ... I've debated on putting this system in my XJ for some time now.

balloo93 said:

I used 4wd.com for mine:

I liked the tune up kit, but not a big fan of the super coil. I had the same problems, XJ wouldn't stay running. Sent the coil back to Accel, and they replaced it free of charge. About 6 months later, the 2nd coil quit on my wife in the ATM lane at the bank. Boy did I get an earful. Back to a stock coil, Accel wires, cap, rotor, and Bosch platinum plugs.

prb24 said:
I liked the tune up kit, but not a big fan of the super coil. I had the same problems, XJ wouldn't stay running. Sent the coil back to Accel, and they replaced it free of charge. About 6 months later, the 2nd coil quit on my wife in the ATM lane at the bank. Boy did I get an earful. Back to a stock coil, Accel wires, cap, rotor, and Bosch platinum plugs.
when you got your kit, did you get the SuperStock Spiral wires? or the Extreme 9000/5000 wires??

Back