• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reese hitch and skid plate together

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Took my wifes xj to get a class 3 hitch and when I got it back the tank skid plate was wrapped up in plastic sitting in the back. Nice hitch but the wife definitly needs/wants the skid plate. Can they coexist or how do I modify the skid plate to fit with the reese brand class 3 hitch. Help. It really sucks when the wife is pissed, I've go enough stress in my life.

Dunno about Reese, but it should work. On an '87 the hitch goes up first, then the skid plate. On the new style, the skid goes up first. I know a lot of people who have XJs with both, so unless there's something very flakey about Reese hitches, the guy who did the installation screwed up.

Thanks..gotta fix that first thing in morning. Freaked out about possibility of rear impact on lifted xj full of wife and kids. A fast and furious honda would pop that tank like a soap bubble. Figure thats more possible than fuel tank puncture on Florida trail rides plus want to have it stout as possible for her riding to/at naxja tellico this year.

Bringing this post back from the dead looking for some followup input..

I have a skid... and the Reese Reciever hitch I got from the yard..

The Skid and the Hitch occupy the same space under the XJ.. they will not fit together... I found that the sides of the hitch are the same width as the skid..

I'm planning to cut the skid and weld the skid and the hitch together... then just use the common bolt holes in both the skid and the hitch.

(JEEZE I NEED A WELDER I'm really sick of borrowing..)

Anyone else done this?
Pics?

Whats the pn (product number of your Reese Hitch? Mine went on slicker than dog s*^t, the skid stays on and evenerything lines up and the hitch goes on afterwards, was a nice quick 30 minute install, kinda dark right now but if ya want I'll get the pn off my hitch

I'll go out and grab the PN now... no rush..

PN is 35688

Not the same one as above.. anyone got this one? It was 10$ and I'd like to use it..

Looks like it's not on the Reese website either...

Okay nevermind.. carry on.. I guess I'll be cutting and pasting a bit

Last edited:
2 years later and i bet he has resolved teh problem, good to know it will work though

Eagle said:
Dunno about Reese, but it should work. On an '87 the hitch goes up first, then the skid plate. On the new style, the skid goes up first. I know a lot of people who have XJs with both, so unless there's something very flakey about Reese hitches, the guy who did the installation screwed up.

So if i am installing an OEM skid on my 89 that currently has a hitch, does this mean I dont have to pull the hitch? what about the tank?
Sorry for the slight hi-jack...

Ludakris said:
So if i am installing an OEM skid on my 89 that currently has a hitch, does this mean I dont have to pull the hitch? what about the tank?
Sorry for the slight hi-jack...
Instructions that came with the OEM skid: attach trailer hitch,then attach tank skid.
I did the oppisite on the 96,held skid in place with jack,blocked up hitch and put all bolts in loosley before tightening.
Wayne

Back