• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np207..

They are not quite as heavy duty. They also have the flange setup on the front shaft for a CV instead of a Dual Cardan type shaft setup. If you are thinking of swapping, you will have to replace the front shaft and the length on the rear shaft changes about an inch. Can't remember if it is longer or shorter, but the length is different. Its a pretty straight forward swap. If you are running the 2.5L, it isn't needed as badly many make out, especially if you are running an automatic. I ran one for a couple of years with no problems.

I believe the low range is not as low as the 231 either. I had a 2.5,904,207 combo in my 85 and other than a minor linkage adjustment it never let me down. I can't speak for heavy offroad useage but that jeep was my daily driver for 2 years rain or shine.

Thank's. Are running a '86 2D w/ 2.5L & 5-speed manuell. What is the best transfercase, (that comes stock on Jeep's) to swap in then ?

I had one in my 86' and I wheeled it every day. I went up one of the toughest trail at Uwharrie with a 2" Tomken budget boost and 30" Ridge Runner M/S's. The front driveshafts look pretty weak though.

NXJ said:
Thank's. Are running a '86 2D w/ 2.5L & 5-speed manuell. What is the best transfercase, (that comes stock on Jeep's) to swap in then ?
Probably an NP231 from an '87 thru '90 Cherokee or Comanche. Approximately 1990 or 1991 Chrysler changed the transfer cases from a 21-spline input shaft to a 23-spline, so be sure to confirm that the spline count matches yoiur transmission output before buying.

Back