• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 gas gauge trouble coded?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Can the gas guage from a '98 xj be diagnosed through the computer port that other trouble codes are available through?

I just want to make sure that the gas gauge is good before I proceed with legal action against the guy who said he installed a new oem fuel pump complete with sender, but the gauge readings are still way off (see modified forum for complete story).

Thanks,

Mike/NY #300

I don't believe the OBD II will give you the code. Nor do I believe that legal action is necessary. There have been gas guage reading problems with the XJ for quite some time. Ask anyone on here.
Even after replacing the sending unit and pump with new OEM, they are still inaccurate.
I believe there is a TSB on this. Perhaps not, but it is widely known about this problem. I have had several XJ's and none of the fuel guages were correct. Especially as they get towards empty. They sink really fast after a 1/4 tank.

Back