• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High capicity Oil Pan?

I tossed around the idea of designing one, but decided against it. If I want extra oil capacity, I can:

1) Use a larger filter. The OEM unit is a 1/2-quart, use a full-length to get a full-quart (and use an extra half-quart of oil.)
2) Add a remote filter/oil cooler. The remote filter would add almost a pint for the remote lines, a decent cooler is good for half a quart to a quart.
3) Add a remote pressure reservior (like in Summit and Jeg's catalogues.) This will add anywhere from a quart to two and a half quarts, depending on reservioir size and location (and therefore length of lines.)

Like Beez said, tho - why the interest? There aren't a lot of factory gasoline-fuelled engines that use over five quarts in the pan, and the 4.0 is one of them...

5-90

i dont mean to thread hi-jack......but....

i bashed in my oil pan ( :doh: ) enough to raise the level of the dipstick to read over by about 1/2 qt.

everything else seems fine, but i was wondering if there is an aftermarket HEAVY DUTY oil pan available for the 4.0?

by heavy duty, i mean OEM capacity of 6 qts, but built stronger/skid-plated

thanks

capttrev

CaptTrev said:

i bashed in my oil pan ( :doh: ) enough to raise the level of the dipstick to read over by about 1/2 qt.

everything else seems fine, but i was wondering if there is an aftermarket HEAVY DUTY oil pan available for the 4.0?

thanks

capttrev

if you bashed it that hard i would be concerned that the pickup is now shrouded/partially blocked.... the pickup is normally very close to the bottom as it is... i saw somewhere a skid that you epoxy to the bottom of the pan that protects 3 sides and the bottom...

Let me elaborate. I'm actually less concerned about the capacity as I am about the baffles and trap doors that come with an aftermarket oil pan. These allow for better oil control and keep more oil around the pick-up during extreme maneuvers or harsh angles. In fact I would also like to find a windage tray to keep the oil from sloshing around my crank, while im bouncing over rocky trails.

CaptTrev said:

thanks

capttrev

I know Nth Degree sells a bolt on skid plate for the 4.0L enignes, My buddy just put one on his TJ after he bashed the hell out of his oil pan. Looks pretty beefy, bolts to the enigne block and then to the bellhousing. Didn't ask what he paid for it though, I'll ask him today sometime. hope that helps.

P.S. Sorry for the hi-jacking also.

talon39 said:
Let me elaborate. I'm actually less concerned about the capacity as I am about the baffles and trap doors that come with an aftermarket oil pan. These allow for better oil control and keep more oil around the pick-up during extreme maneuvers or harsh angles. In fact I would also like to find a windage tray to keep the oil from sloshing around my crank, while im bouncing over rocky trails.
You'd be amazed at how well the stock oil pan does that. I was on my rear bumper looking at the sky for about 5 minutes in the hole on Escalator while getting rigged up to winch the front wheels down. I had the engine running and was watching the oil pressure gauge closely, any fluttering and I would shut it down. It never budged. I was impressed.

Back