• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mud rovers vs. SSR

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
the dunlop mud rovers are dirt cheap (no pun intended) but am also looking at the interco SSR (radials)...

any real-world experience w/ either?

who's got best prices on the swampers?

thanks.
:cheers:

MMIXJ said:
the dunlop mud rovers are dirt cheap (no pun intended) but am also looking at the interco SSR (radials)...

any real-world experience w/ either?

who's got best prices on the swampers?

thanks.
:cheers:
What do you plan on doing most with your rig? mild, moderate or heavy offroading?

I like the SSR's on my Cruiser @ 5300 Pounds. On my light CJ i couldn't get them to work right. Might want to look at some other choices
Cruizzin_XJ

it depends on how serious you are about your XJ, but I would reccomend the SSR's of the two. the radials are pretty road worthy, and really drive about the same as mud rovers, and the SSR's are much better off road you would have no problem driving daily on SSR radials. again, if cost is a major factor, go with the Mud rovers. aslo, if you arent that serious about your xj, arent going to wheel at all. . etc. . . dont get the SSR's

well it kinda sees it all... i drive it to the trail and often during the week.
nothing extreme, just the difficult trails here in CO and in moab.

i know the "old school" swampers have no road manners and don't last long, but
was wondering about these radials. seems a bit confusing though in that they list
the super swamper radial series "SSR / TSL" (which is the one i'm interested in)
and a "TSL Radial". ??

anyway, sam's club has a decent deal on the dunlops, but am trying to see if i
can get anywhere close on the swampers... $$.

thanks.

think about this, if you mess up a tire, do you want to fork over the $$ for a rover or a swamper. i have the rovers and there a great tire in everything you throw at them, they have worn kinda fast on mine but i drove it hard and had a misaligned front end for a couple months. sidewalls are not very strong but you will find that true of most radials. i cant justify spending double for one tire when i can get the rover at 1/2. 73 for a 31,or 120 for pretty much the next cheapest

SSR's are pretty soft for alot of street use. Procomp is running their Buy 3 get on free special this month. I have seen alot of people run them and they hold up extremely well. Just ask Yellaheep.

MMIXJ said:
well it kinda sees it all... i drive it to the trail and often during the week.
nothing extreme, just the difficult trails here in CO and in moab.

i know the "old school" swampers have no road manners and don't last long, but
was wondering about these radials. seems a bit confusing though in that they list
the super swamper radial series "SSR / TSL" (which is the one i'm interested in)
and a "TSL Radial". ??

anyway, sam's club has a decent deal on the dunlops, but am trying to see if i
can get anywhere close on the swampers... $$.

thanks.
Just an FYI but "TSL" stands for Three Stage Lug. I had the TSL radial and hated them. They were great offroad but on road were terrible. I have friends that ran the SSR's didn't much care for them as they wear way to quickly. As Cruzzin_XJ mentioned the weight thing, they don't like light vehicles. I was close to stock weight with mine and they rode like crap. I am now on BFG MT's and what an improvement. I would recommend you look at the BFG MT's (cheaper then MTR's) or Goodyear MTR's (about same price as SSR's). You can't go wrong with either of those tires. Just my .02

Matt

Last edited:
I've got some mud rovers, and in 7k miles, they have worn down an inch from the lugs. They are pretty good off-road, but they didn't last nearly as long as I wanted them to

i guess the trxus is something to look at too since they are relatively cheap and are suppose to be pretty good for dd/wheeling

I've also ran the BFG MT's and realy liked there all around performance except in the Colorado snow, They aren't snow freindly, go figure there doing what there supposed to.
I ran a new set of 31" Pro Comp MT's and hated them. They road worse than my SSR's on the street, i replaced them after trying multiple dismounts, balancing etc. with a used set of 32" BFG MT's and what a difference. I will never buy them again.

I currently run the 35" MTR's, on the XJ and SSR's on the Cruiser
The MTR's are a good choice but at about half tread there starting to get very loud and wander a bit

Cruzzin_XJ

I loved my trxus on my old jeep and miss them. They worked great on the rock and in the mud. I now have bfgs on the new jeep but I really haven't rock crawled any since my jeep is still in the building stages. I have put them in the mud and they do about the same as trxus with a little bit better steering. I say that either bfg or trxus would be the way to go.

but bfg gets expensive, dunlops are just as good, probably wont last as long, but an exceptional tire

i've got the trxus M/T's on my daily driver (33x12.5's) and love them. They're quietier than BFG Muds i've dealt with and have excellent off road manners. Don't know how long they'll last tho, i've only had them for a short while.

jrsxj98 said:
SSR's are pretty soft for alot of street use. Procomp is running their Buy 3 get on free special this month. I have seen alot of people run them and they hold up extremely well. Just ask Yellaheep.
good year is having a buy 3 get one free sale as well, including m/r's and i think they have a buy 5 and get a $50 US savings bond thing as well....

good ol full size spare...

One of the guys in my club ran SSRs on his YJ. Seemed to tear open a sidewall every time out - and we aren't even in big rock country.

r@m

offroadman83 said:
I say that either bfg or trxus would be the way to go.

'cept i'm one of those freaks who likes narrow(er) tires and i have 16" wheels...
and i'm looking to go to approx 34" tires.

i can get the rovers in a 34x11
the SSRs are available in both a 34x11.50 and a 35x11.

all the others i've looked into (trxus, bfg, etc.) are only 33s in widths less than a 12.50.

i'll probably end up w/ the rovers for the price, since nobody has posted any sources for killer deals on $wampers...

thanks for all of the input; it was helpful.

Back