• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabilizer

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. Do stock XJ's have steering stabilizers? I noticed that some times my steering feels heavy and what looks to be something to do with my steering has a leak in it. Is this a stabilizer or something different. It is in the front and looks like a hydralic piston. Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. Thanks.

Yes, stock XJs have a steering stabilizer, and that sounds like you've described it pretty well.

I've personally never seen a steering stabilizer "jam" causing it harder to turn, but I wouldn't rule it out. If your stabilizer is leaking fluid then it is bad and needs to be changed anyhow. When they go bad you will get vibrations of varying degree depending upon many things including the tire size you're running . Are you sure you're not leaking fluid from somewhere else? Perhaps the power steering pump?

Kevin

My old 87 used to develop "pump catch" or intermittent loss of power steering just when it is needed most, when the belt was a little loose. It never squeaked, and it wasn't all that loose, but there it is. I got a belt tension gauge and tightened it up and it stopped happening.

Shifty said:
Hi. Do stock XJ's have steering stabilizers? I noticed that some times my steering feels heavy and what looks to be something to do with my steering has a leak in it. Is this a stabilizer or something different. It is in the front and looks like a hydralic piston. Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. Thanks.

Check the u-joints in your steering shaft. When they start to freeze up it will act like a slipping belt...easy/hard/easy/hard etc as you are turning the wheel. They can usually be freed up with PB Blaster or a similar product. Easier to do off the vehicle though.

Good luck,
jay in MA

Back