• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4X4 Shifter rattles

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
98 Xj and my 4x4 lever rattles at stops while in drive. Stoplights, stop signs etc... It has the "part time" 4x4 setup.
Its not a drastic problem. Just an annoyance. Its a plastic type of rattle.
When I grab the handle at a stop it also stops. Or if I give it a minor nudge or adjustment it stops.
Anyone have a cure for this? Or have had similar problems?

bustednutz said:
98 Xj and my 4x4 lever rattles at stops while in drive. Stoplights, stop signs etc... It has the "part time" 4x4 setup.
Its not a drastic problem. Just an annoyance. Its a plastic type of rattle.
When I grab the handle at a stop it also stops. Or if I give it a minor nudge or adjustment it stops.
Anyone have a cure for this? Or have had similar problems?
1. I think there was either a TSB or a recall for that
2. It could be caused by loose bushings.

go to the dealer, they'll know what you need. They started making a kit for it. Sorry I dont remember the part number. The kit goes for about $18 I think.

Dean

There's also a bolt that can work itself out just over the crossmember and cause a similar rattle/vibe. That causes rattles when it's missing...ask me how I know ;) Fortunately there was enough gunk on top of the crossmember to hold it in place.

Same "rattle" in my '00. Crawled under and discovered a worn out bushing on the pivot rod...... doctored it up with a rubber "O" ring cut to slide over the rod...... worked great .... for a couple of weeks, now rattling again. Guess I'll have to get serious with it!

AlaskaJak said:
Same "rattle" in my '00. Crawled under and discovered a worn out bushing on the pivot rod...... doctored it up with a rubber "O" ring cut to slide over the rod...... worked great .... for a couple of weeks, now rattling again. Guess I'll have to get serious with it!
Get that fixed with the proper bushings! I spent plenty of time under my XJ @ Moab cause my bushings wore out and I had problems switching into 4low and at times even staying in 4h. Had to jury rig something with some rubber hose and clamps to make it stay where it's supposed to and now I"ll finally take care of it this coming weekend.

its the brass bushing that sits in the bracket that is attached to the trans tunnel. sometimes you can lube the heck out of it with some white lithium grease an the noise will stop. or if all else fails replace the bushing.

Back