• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS and tow package??

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
i was reading in another thread that the tow pakage came with 8 1/4 rear axle... then i read somewhere that the 8 1/4 rear didn't come with ABS.
My question is this...
if i have the tow package (factory) and the 8 1/4 rear by default, then why does my ABS light in the dash light up on start-up and stay on for a sec. as if it were calibrating? Why have the light at all?
I'm just curious. its raining today so on my way to work i tried to emergency stop a few times...and locked 'em up every time, but get faint pulsing when the brakes are applied (with any amount of force i.e. all they way or just light pressure). the pulsing (since it CAN'T be ABS?) must mean something is warped...
TIA!
fun in the rain!
BTW 2000 xj sport auto and stock

Last edited:
The tow package does not necessarily include the 8.25 axle... it was put under all late model XJ's unless they had ABS, which required a D35. My Upcountry '01 XJ Limited with tow package has a D35 because it was ordered with ABS.

The ABS light going on is just part of the computer's initial diagnostic check at startup.

Sounds like your rotors are warped.

You can look under the hood near the brake booster for the ABS pump, but you probably will not have it. Also, you can check your rear brake line... if it has 2 wires clipped to it they would be the rear ABS wires. Those are easy ways to tell if you have ABS or not.

lawn cher
thanks for the info... i'll go look as soon as it lets up out there.
by your info then... it is possible to have the tow pakage with a d35 and ABS... so the tow pkg can come with a D35 if it was ordered that way.
anyways thanks again for the info. much appreciated.
Nim

Biscutboy: Are you sure you have the 8.25 rear axle. I do and though I have the ABS light on the dash it never lights up, so my thinking is that you do have ABS and the 35 with a tow package.

Back