• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 L coolant leak

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
It appears that I am leaking antifreeze, at a pretty good rate out of the bottom of my I-6 4 L.

It appears that it is coming out between where the oil pan meets the transmission. Where in the heck could that be coming from, and should it be a cause for concern?

If you read my sig you will see my 4.0 is in my ZJ, but I figured that it is the same engine as the XJ so I'll post here. Moderators, move it if you need to!

Cross your fingers and start looking close. The somewhat worse case is that the freeze plug behind the block, between the block and bell housing is leaking. If so you need to drop the tranny and replace the freeze plug, use brass this time. There is also another plug in the same place but it's for the oil gallery, smaller plug as I remember.
Try it facing downhill or completely level, could also be one of the side freeze plugs under the headers. Just need to find out if it's running back alonside the motor and impersonating a rear leak. Good reason to use only distilled water in the system.

RichP said:
The somewhat worse case is that the freeze plug behind the block, between the block and bell housing is leaking. If so you need to drop the tranny and replace the freeze plug, use brass this time.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
The other "freeze" plug on the back of the block is directly behind the camshaft.

Any idea of the odds of a XJ having a block heater in Tennesse ??? That like finding a car with a heater in hawaii or a car without AC in florida, it's an option.... :D
Up where you are on the other hand......

Back