• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One more tire question

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking into new tires for my 93XJ. The two candidates are BFG AT's or MT's. It's mostly a daily driver, but will see mild trails eventually. What's the difference in ride, snow/wet traction and road noise? Has anyone used both of these, which do you like better? Any suggestions would be great. I hate to buy one and then wish I would've gotten the other.

Mike Harris

MT's are hard and tend to bounce a bit on the rocks, however you get alot of miles out of them. Go with GoodYear MT/R's over BFG MTs. Having said all of that, for your use BFG ATs would probably be perfect. I ran them for a while and loved them.

Kevin

I've got BFG ATs on my S-10 and can not wait til lthey're worn out. The wet traction SUCKS!!! Hell- for that matter, they slide a good bit on dry roads too.

Might want to look into the Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Damn good tire.....

Go with the ATs. Mud tires are made for mud. ATs are made for "all terrain."

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably end up going with the AT's since I'll be more on road than off. The only reason I considered the MT's is that my friend has an 81 CJ8 with Truxus MT's on it and I really like them. The BFG MT's are supposed to be comparable to the Truxus, or so I've heard. They aren't noisy, don't ride too bad and have decent traction. I would get them, but since I don't have a lift yet, I'm going with 30" tires and the smallest Truxus MT is 31".

I say go with AT's. I bought a set a couple of years ago and they have worn really well. As far as road manners I they have served me very well on wet and dry pavement. They make driving in the snow and ice almost no fun, too much traction. As far as mud I have taken them on a few slippery trails with ruts and puddles and they pulled right through. I don't really notice much road noise either.

burntkat said:
I've got BFG ATs on my S-10 and can not wait til lthey're worn out. The wet traction SUCKS!!! Hell- for that matter, they slide a good bit on dry roads too.

S-10 pickup? Handling and tire slippage is quite a bit different with a light rearend like that than a Cherokee. I had several sets of BFG ATs on my Cherokees, and they handled beautifully in the wet weather and snow around here. Treadlife was close to 50,000 miles as well, so they are definitely worth it depending what they're going on. They aren't the best on mud and are adequate on rocks, but for all-round use on a daily driver they're great.

S-10 pickup? Handling and tire slippage is quite a bit different with a light rearend like that than a Cherokee. I had several sets of BFG ATs on my Cherokees, and they handled beautifully in the wet weather and snow around here. Treadlife was close to 50,000 miles as well, so they are definitely worth it depending what they're going on. They aren't the best on mud and are adequate on rocks, but for all-round use on a daily driver they're great.

I have to agree on this one. I ran BFG ATs on my junk for the past 2 years before switching to my MTs, and they were great on wet roads. They are a great all around tire.

Want to really slide around in the rain in that S-10 throw a set of MTs on it. :eek:

Yucca-Man said:

"Blazer" ;)

Just... _slightly_ heavier than an XJ, wouldn't ya say? ;)

jeepguy97 said:
Want to really slide around in the rain in that S-10 throw a set of MTs on it. :eek:

Actually, I've found I got better traction when I had a set of Pep Boys MTs on it

:shrug: I needed tires and they were on sale. Not a bad tire, actually....

I have run both on my XJ, and the SIPED BFG MTs were superior to the BFG ATs in every respect, except that they cup far quicker if not rotated very regularly. Even so, all they did is get loud, and I got in excess of 70k miles out of the MTs. My current ATs are at 35k and wearing much quicker. I would go with the MTs -- but get them siped (center lugs only!)

burntkat said:

i have to contest to that.. while the scorpions are good onroad... their offroad durability SUCKS
i had a set (BRAND NEW) show freekin cords commin outside of the sidewall after 2 wheelin trips.. no rocks.. just dirt. and it still happened....
the sidewall is really thin on the scorpions....

Back