• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining noise coming from front of engine

90red

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently bought an 89 Cherokee 4.0 Laredo. It isnt running, but it is loaded w/leather and auto trans and I only paid $350 for it. Everything works other than the engine. The odometer says 170k and the engine compartment is very clean. The engine turns over, but nothing happens. There is a whining noise on every revolution that I think is coming from the front of the engine, but it is very hard to tell. The guy I bought it from said some friends of his mentioned it might be the timing chain. If so, then this could be an even bigger steal than it already is. It gets spark and fuel, everything is connected and looks to be completely intact. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

90red

Check the battery. It could simply be flat. If you try to start the engine with a flat battery, you get a long series of loud clicks and no start. The whine from the front of the engine could be from the alternator, A/C or PS pump. Try to narrow it down.

Back