• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radius Armed rear?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I am really happy with my radius arms in the front, but I'm not so happy with my leafs. I am considering running a set of radius arms in the rear with superflex joints on the end just like my front ones. I would cut the brackets off of a front 44 and weld them to my 9" rear. How would radius arms work in the rear? I don't have a good enough grasp of anit squat, roll axis and ect. to figure out what they would be on the radius arms. Also is it ideal to have a long flat trackbar or what? I have an RE adjustable I would like to put to use if it is feasable, or would I be better off using a zj rear trackbar?

Radius arms can work in the rear also, the main concern is getting control of your anti-squat. You will want the arms as long as reasonably possible to accomplish this. Yes, a long and flat panhard (trackbar) is ideal, keep it high as possible is a good rule to get the best roll axis.

I really like the "one-link" rear suspension that are becoming more well-known. They function as a radius arm in terms of anti-squat. Do a little reading here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235977

I'd like to see somebody do this and eliminate the need for a panhard; could you incorporate a bit of triangulation to accomplish this?

Like this, but in a rear application.

shop%20pics0005.jpg

Economos said:
I'd like to see somebody do this and eliminate the need for a panhard; could you incorporate a bit of triangulation to accomplish this?

Like this, but in a rear application.

shop%20pics0005.jpg
that would provide lateral control of the axle, probably enough for the rear, but I wouldn't do it up front unless I had full-hydro steering. One thing I don't like about it though is where is the roll-axis? I think it would follow the plane of the arms, which is very low and would make it very "floppy". A panhard (or Watts, or other) can give you a lot more control over where the roll-axis is at.

I don't understand all of the panhard bar haters around here. It doesn't limit my articulation in the front at all, my brake lines do before anything but I max out my highlift before a front tire will come off the ground. Is there any advantage to doing a "wishbone" intead of a track bar. Plus with an almost centered differential in the rear it could be tricky to do that. As for the one link, I like the idea, especialy the driveshaft protection it gives but the price of a joint that big would kill me, and the ball hitch idea scares me, and this is my dd, and I make frequent 90 mile trips home from school. I am familiar with radius arms and can get them for dirt cheap. How long would I want to make the arms? I lengthened my front ones to around 35".

CW said:
I don't understand all of the panhard bar haters around here. It doesn't limit my articulation in the front at all, my brake lines do before anything but I max out my highlift before a front tire will come off the ground. Is there any advantage to doing a "wishbone" intead of a track bar. Plus with an almost centered differential in the rear it could be tricky to do that. As for the one link, I like the idea, especialy the driveshaft protection it gives but the price of a joint that big would kill me, and the ball hitch idea scares me, and this is my dd, and I make frequent 90 mile trips home from school. I am familiar with radius arms and can get them for dirt cheap. How long would I want to make the arms? I lengthened my front ones to around 35".
I would just make them as long as you reasonably can. If you want to actually run the anti-squat numbers you can use the 4-link calculator found on the Pirate site

Back