• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear - Nov 5,6,7 weekend?

sintax

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone interested.

I know someone from the group just got a new XJ and will be dying to break it in. And I'm in need of some camping / wheeling before the jeep gets torn apart and rebuilt.

I'd take Friday off, drive up setup camp and hike around a bit, might do some light runs if I have some others that feel like playing hooky. I might have some females with me who are not too sure if they like the whole idea of off roading (they think it might be scary) so I don’t want to scare them...YET!

Meet up at the discovery center and wheel the majority of Saturday. I'm thinking doing all the basics and maybe john bull, since i know its been sequoia's arch enemy.

Sunday I am planning on kicking back, doing some hiking if the weather allows and heading home in the afternoon. So if anyone does not want to wheel on Sunday we'll be doing some low key stuff.

I am going to request the presence of...

1. Sequoia (since he is the chapter pres. and knows the area better then anyone i know)
2. Liquidops (because he needs to be initiated into the 4x4 xj club since he just graduated from 2x4)
3. Shannon (because its been a while since we've wheeled.)

Everyone else is invited, but the above is mandatory.

-Scott

Okay, I like the idea (John Bull calls!) but it would be nicer if it were on the next weekend. The chapter meeting / meet & greet is on Sunday the 7th and I've gotta be there. I also highly encourage everybody else to go along as we will be discussing runs, including the annual event, so if you're there you can make sure your voice is heard.

If you cannot change it to the next weekend (there's no way I can do Halloween weekend!) I'll still be there. I'll drive up after work on Friday, hit the trail on Saturday, and drive back Sunday morning. Holly may come along, as long as I let her drive for Holecomb Creek.

I'm thinking the way to do this is to run Holecomb creek first, give the new guy(s) a chance to get their feet wet if you will, after that we'll hit John Bull, depending on time. If it's getting late I'd like to run JB with only an experianced crew, and meet the new guys on the other side, just so we can run through it fast (you don't want to be new at rocks and be up there in the dark).

Camping - How does Serrano sound? It's central and has facilities for the ladies (us men don't need no stinin' facilities, and they just might stink!). It will be a pay to camp situation though, and I'll check to see if we can have fire there, that would be a good thing for the November night!

Sequoia

Catering to rookies... Sounds good. I have had this thing for 2 mo and haven't got to really wheel it yet. I have a trip planned for thanksgiving but I will see if I can squeeze this in.

Sintax do you know brandon (renegadejpr) 89 exo xj.

Anyways I will get back to you for more info if I can fit it in.

Thanks

E-man and I are good for Sunday. He has an away game on Sat at noon. Why in the $^##& are they always in the middle of the @%#$ day?:smsoap: . Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for meeting up with you all early on sunday.

It was sure nice up there yesterday.

Tim

Bent said:
E-man and I are good for Sunday. He has an away game on Sat at noon. Why in the $^##& are they always in the middle of the @%#$ day?:smsoap: . Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for meeting up with you all early on sunday.

It was sure nice up there yesterday.

Tim
Hey... are you going to come for the chapter meeting?

Kejtar said:
Hey... are you going to come for the chapter meeting?
Yes, that was the plan.

Edit: Oh, they're both on that 11/07. Oops. I'll be at the meeting.:banghead:

Last edited:
JT Spencer said:
Sintax do you know brandon (renegadejpr) 89 exo xj.

I know of him, have not wheeled with him yet though.

-Scott

This is an informal (not NAXJA supported) run.

Required Equipment:
Solid recovery points front and rear (tow hooks, shackles/d-rings, receivers), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, snatch strap (no chains, no strap with metal hooks), spare tire and all necessary hardware.

Meeting Place:
Big Bear Discovery Center (http://www.bigbear.info/), 9.00 am.

Camping:
Serrano camp ground. Camping is $24 per night with and extra $5 if you have two vehicles. Make your reservations early, call 909.866.3437. Propane stoves, lanterns, and heaters are allowed, as are liquid gas and jelly. No open fires.

Planned trails for Saturday:
Holcomb Creek (3N93) running West to East, enter Holcomb via alternate route 2N06X.
John Bull (3N10) running East to West, bypass (via 3N16) available for those who choose not to run it.

Planned trails for Sunday:
To be discussed.

CB Channel:
Primary, 4; alternate, 14

Trail Leader, Saturday:
G. Sequoia Armstrong (GSequoia)

Trail Leader, Sunday:
To be discussed.

Notes:
You're going to want to get a Forest Adventure Pass, otherwise you risk getting a ticket. You can buy them in most sporting goods stores or directly from the Big Bear Discovery center, their website is http://www.bigbear.info/. There are no fires allowed anywhere on the mountain, and no yellow post camping period.

More Information:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37293

GSequoia said:
Also - Shannon, no re-creations of those pictures you posted in the Den!

Damn... no fun! As long as there is no Patrone I will be OK, and I am gearing up for a big Halloween party. Here is a brief desciption of my costume... happy face thong... :moon:
leather chaps...
cowboy boots...
sleeveless flanel...
cowboy hat...

sintax said:
I am going to request the presence of...

2. Liquidops (because he needs to be initiated into the 4x4 xj club since he just graduated from 2x4)

Everyone else is invited, but the above is mandatory.

-Scott

Do I HAVE to go??? hmmmmmm

must ponder this great journey

I'm sure he'll find some excuses. :looney:

Remi: are you going to make the trek up the hill?

BTW: Would anyone be interested in going down one of the fire roads down the back of the moutain and into Lucerne Valley and then down the 15fwy on Sunday?

-Scott

sintax said:
I'm sure he'll find some excuses. :looney:

Remi: are you going to make the trek up the hill?
Probably not this time :( I have crapload of stuff to catch up on but I'll be making it to the ride on the 20th :D

I might be able to go...Im building my D44 right now, If I get it finished then I'll head up there. However JT Spencer now has my XJ so I'll be in my YJ if ya'll dont mind :)

Holy cow! Youz guyz should get up there this weekend while the snow is fresh.

Andy Steiner said:
Holy cow! Youz guyz should get up there this weekend while the snow is fresh.
Yup! Saturday morning! An hour away!:party:

Back