• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's fair?

The cost of the no-slip is a crime at that. Do you already have the no-slip, if not, try ebay for a used Lock-Right.

If you can't install it yourself, then you do not deserve to have a locked D35. Sorry that I sound harsh, but you run the risk of blowing axles and you'll really piss off the guys you run trails with. If you can't fix your own stuff.

A lot of people cant configure a cisco router, does that mean they dont deserve to be on the internet?
Some people dont even change their own oil.
I cant build a tranny. This is what keeps mechanics in business.
I believe dealerships get 4 billed hours of labor for a ring and pinion install. I would base it on that.
Not trying to flame but give the guy a break! :D

Whos to say its even a Trail Rig? XJGUY has a slammed and blown XJ.
This isnt NAXJFORUOA North.American.XJ.For.OffRoad.Use.Only.Association

200 bucks is what i am paying for someone to install an ARB in my d30.. and before i get flamed for not doing it myself.. i've never done it before and would prefer to not have to order more seals when i screw it up.. it may also be a touch of laziness :D

I'm with XJCHUCK. Paying some one to do a full case locker or ring and pionon is diffrent than just doing a lunchbox locker. They are very simple and when you break a shaft you should know how to fix it. Am I saying that if your aren a full blow mechanice stay off the trails, NO but the way you learn is to do. I see tomany people on the trails who have no clue yet big check books. They pay to have all this stuff done yet they have never even put the jeep in low range and there for have no clue what its capable of and how it works.

How tough is this?

97XJ asks a simple question, and he gets a bucket of cr*p thrown at him.
Sure people should have as much experience and know-how as possible to be able help themselves on the trails, but the best way to get them to that level is by encouragement and education.
You don't train a dog by kicking it now do you...or do you?

Whats wrong with kicking your dog? If he pees on the broken-down cars in the front lawn, Ima gonna kick his arse, then go back into my house with wheels :D

|QUOTE|
If you can't install it yourself, then you do not deserve to have a locked D35. Sorry that I sound harsh, but you run the risk of blowing axles and you'll really piss off the guys you run trails with. If you can't fix your own stuff

Its easy to bag on the 50,000$ SUV owners.
But its like anything else. People have skills in some areas, and the areas they dont, they see a professional.
If we were hanging out on a Medical Bulletin Board and someone asked how to remove an appendix, All the doctors would laugh at him
See my point?

THE_OWL said:
Whats wrong with kicking your dog? If he pees on the broken-down cars in the front lawn, Ima gonna kick his arse, then go back into my house with wheels :D

:D

XJChuck and others who piled on, you are out of line. When someone asks for advice on our forums, we try to give advice, not a load of BS and abuse.

If you don't wish to wheel with someone who for his/her own reasons chooses to have something installed on his/her vehicle, that's your choice. NAXJA does not ban such folks from our events, in fact we welcome them, so maybe you need to think about whether or not you wish to partcipate in NAXJA, or if you really belong more over on the Pirates of the Rubicon board.

There are many reasons not to attempt such an install. Lack of tools might be one, lack of a place to do the job might be another, lack of time might be a third. 97XJ's reason(s) don't matter. What matters is that he/she came here asking for help, and nobody answered the question.

As to those who keep saying "Lock-Rite," the question wasn't about a Lock-Right. The question was about a No-Slip. Yes, I know both are drop-in lockers, but the No-Slip is much, much smoother on the street. However, various people have commented that the parts don't necessarily fit without some minor alterations and "persuasion," so I would not fault a rookie for paying someone to have the job done right.

The pinion depth doesn't get changed, so the only real settings to be checked are side clearance and backlash -- and those shouldn't change, they should just be checked. I would guess 4 hours is a reasonable allowance.

Last edited:
I tried to answer his question. Sorta.
|QUOTE|
I believe dealerships get 4 billed hours of labor for a ring and pinion install. I would base it on that.
Not trying to flame but give the guy a break!

Depends on where u take it really. You can expect that price from a dealer.
You can get a buddy or a small shop to do it for less maybe.

Eagle said:
When someone asks for advice on our forums, we try to give advice, not a load of BS and abuse...

If you don't wish to wheel with someone...
...that's your choice.

...maybe you need to think about whether or not you wish to partcipate in NAXJA, or if you really belong more over on the Pirates of the Rubicon board.

What matters is that he/she came here asking for help, and nobody answered the question.

...the question wasn't about a Lock-Right. The question was about a No-Slip. Yes, I know both are drop-in lockers, but the No-Slip is much, much smoother on the street. However, various people have commented that the parts don't necessarily fit without some minor alterations and "persuasion," so I would not fault a rookie for paying someone to have the job done right.

orneriness, properly directed; it's a beautiful thing :)

EagleFamily.jpg

A lunchbox locker, like a NoSlip is only a one or two beer job. No special tools required either.

I'd suggest trying a compromise between attempting it yourself and simply dropping it in someone else's hands. My advice is to find someone who knows what he's doing and pay him what he thinks is fair considering that you want to help out every step of the way (I'd say anything over $100 keep looking, YMMV). That way you know it'll be dome properly AND you should be able to do it yourself the next time. I installed my own No-Slip with a buddy watching over my shoulder - and feel real good about it.
Good Luck to you.

XJCHUCK72 said:
The cost of the no-slip is a crime at that. Do you already have the no-slip, if not, try ebay for a used Lock-Right.

If you can't install it yourself, then you do not deserve to have a locked D35. Sorry that I sound harsh, but you run the risk of blowing axles and you'll really piss off the guys you run trails with. If you can't fix your own stuff.

Wow, I'm Quoting myself. If you notice I apologized ahead of time for being harsh. I apologize agian, I guess some can't handle the truth.

cont. quote:

"Ok, then you take care of his problems on the trail. I won't turn away if someone needs help, but usually on a run the last thing I want to do is fix my stuff, let alone someone elses.

Take a chance, there are numerous articles on the net, learn something."

I will help anyone in need, and at this time I feel he needed to hear the truth, no matter how harsh it may seem.

BTW, what if he went out exploring alone, he would have to end up cutting off his arm or something just to get home. I'll try to be more tactfull, I have these allergeries, know what I mean.

Thanks for reading, :)

XJCHUCK if there were any asshats like you on the trails where I got started, I would have thought better of it.
:next:

for the record, naxja is not a forum, its a jeepclub.....

so yes, the majorit here will favor "on trail" situations.....

owl, your analogy is facile.....

I've been on the internet for a decade, and I've never had to re-rout a giglio-duwangus, yet just about every time i go wheelin, someone in the group or myself breaks. When you wheel, its assumed that each driver has somewhat of a clue, and its nice when the jeep owner becomes involved in leading the repair. Trail repairs can be a fun group activity and no one would ever bag on a guy for not being a good wrench on a naxja run, but I gotta side with chuck on this one...if you are putting in a locker that require ring and pinion set-up, I can understand folks wanting to duck out on that one, but a lunchbox locker is simple.....wrenching skills should match the degree to which the jeep is modified.

Back